GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fast growing seed for science project (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/253-fast-growing-seed-science-project.html)

BNtylions 25-01-2003 09:30 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

My son is entering his school's science fair. His topic is growing seeds w/
various types of light. Does anyone have any ideas for the best kinds of seeds
to use for such a project.

PS - It's cold here too!!

Cereoid+10 25-01-2003 11:49 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

Beans. Kidney beans, Lima beans, take your choice.
Let your son do the research.

NauticalWheeler 26-01-2003 12:39 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

My son did a science project on different size seeds
a few years ago. ...."does the size of a seed make
a difference on how it grows?" Large seeds seemed to work best. I have
seen pumpkin, bean, sunflower and squash seeds used by other students. My
son used hyacinth bean seeds because that was the largest seed I had in the
house at the time. I got to plant the results in
the garden. I have also seen a project using grass
seed grown in styrofoam cups. They were placed
in different areas of the house bathroom, closets etc.
Another project was using different types of soils.
Good luck and I am sure you will have fun!

samuel l crowe 26-01-2003 02:38 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

My grand daughter did a project such as you mentioned and she used radish
seeds, she got an "A"

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Cereoid+10 26-01-2003 04:28 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

Ah hem, it's supposed to be her son's science project not hers.

Me thinks the spoiled brat will be having all the fun supervising while
somebody else does all the work!

Mahasamatman 26-01-2003 06:43 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

Any rapidly germinating seed will work. Bean seeds are the
traditional choice for student projects like that, though most
anything else will work.

Sam

Frogleg 26-01-2003 02:08 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

On 25 Jan 2003 20:30:24 GMT, ospam (BNtylions)
wrote:

My son is entering his school's science fair. His topic is growing seeds w/
various types of light. Does anyone have any ideas for the best kinds of seeds
to use for such a project.

How many thousands of science projects have been done on this subject?
Seems to me a project ought to present some *new* hypothesis and
experimentation. Sounds as if your son's teacher may have said, "...or
you could start some seeds with different lights..." Why not question
the kid into thinking up some interesting variation on a tired old
theme? Is he *interested* in seeds and light? Maybe a comparison
between the germination rates of dried supermarket beans and bean
'seeds' would be interesting. Check some of the questions in
rec.gardens -- "Can I save seeds from my tomatoes/peppers/melons and
grow them?" Of course, the hybrid fruit characteristics are beyond a
short-term project, but at least it's a little different. What kind of
supermarket jarred spice seeds will actually grow? How 'bout an
in-depth web survey of how many bean/light experiments have been done
and a report on their conclusions?

Ann 26-01-2003 03:48 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

(Frogleg) expounded:

How many thousands of science projects have been done on this subject?
Seems to me a project ought to present some *new* hypothesis and
experimentation. Sounds as if your son's teacher may have said, "...or
you could start some seeds with different lights..." Why not question
the kid into thinking up some interesting variation on a tired old
theme?

Did you ever consider that itisn't a tired old theme to a young child?
The experiment is for him to learn and show, not impress the current
science world. While your suggestions are good ones, the theme of
using different kinds of lights is interesting, too. And hopefully
the child pulls it off well and gets a good grade.

To the original poster, sunflowers would be interesting. They react
very well to light direction, too. Beans are fast germinators, too,
as has been suggested. Please let us know how things turn out!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Cereoid+10 27-01-2003 06:05 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

Wonder where I read somebody recommend bean seeds?

You forget Mushmouth that the person who is asking the question knows
absolutely nothing about seeds and she is doing all the work for her son who
apparently couldn't give a fig anyway.

hlink.net...

Cereoid+10 27-01-2003 06:17 AM

Fast growing seed for science project

Seems to me that the science project is far more a new learning experience
for the kids mother than the spoiled brat himself!!!!

As Froggy points out, this tired old experiment has been done millions of
times over and is in every intro to science textbook. So, why hasn't
Scooter's mommy caught on to where is the best place to look for the answer
to her question? Where in the heck is Scooter? Why isn't he the one on the
pooter doing his own homework?

The classic version of this experiment is done with bean seeds.

Geez Anne, we already know how things will turn out. They turns out badly!!!

(Frogleg) expounded:

Frogleg 27-01-2003 02:27 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:48:24 -0500, Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

How many thousands of science projects have been done on this subject?
Seems to me a project ought to present some *new* hypothesis and
experimentation. Sounds as if your son's teacher may have said, "...or
you could start some seeds with different lights..." Why not question
the kid into thinking up some interesting variation on a tired old
theme?

Did you ever consider that itisn't a tired old theme to a young child?
The experiment is for him to learn and show, not impress the current
science world. While your suggestions are good ones, the theme of
using different kinds of lights is interesting, too. And hopefully
the child pulls it off well and gets a good grade.

You have a point. However, I'm thinking about a sort of scientific
method ideal, in which a more or less original thesis is proposed and
examined. Making a model of the solar system is new to a young child,
but isn't exactly an original thought. There are many ways something
old could be *made* interesting. And kids have interesting ideas. An
old idea could be presented as an advertisement, or with a humorous
slant. Even failures can be analyzed for presentation. I meant to
suggest a little stimulation to tap into some real interest or
question of the kid's. There's that annoying stage they all go through
of constantly asking "why?" They're endlessly curious. This is a time
to listen for the "whys" and suggest ways to pursue them.

Alice Gamewell 27-01-2003 08:00 PM

Fast growing seed for science project

Radish is a good choice. Not only do they germinate fairly fast, you can have a
radish in about 21 days.

Dwight Sipler 28-01-2003 04:12 PM

wrote:

My son is entering his school's science fair. His topic is growing seeds w/
various types of light. Does anyone have any ideas for the best kinds of seeds
to use for such a project...

Radishes are quick. 3-4 weeks to maturity. Under good conditions,
germination occurs in 1-3 days.