Old 26-01-2003, 01:08 AM
mike

Default St. augustine grass question

I have a St. augustine yard that grows well around the sprinklers but
there are a couple areas that don't really grow well. It just seems
to be brown. I think it has to do with the lack of sprinklers in that
area. But the sprinklers in the center do hit the area. I am going
to want to plug thoes areas in the spring. What kind of St. augustine
plugs should I get and how do I put the plugs in and what kind of
plugs should I get. Can I mix varietys of plugs. I live in west
central Florida. My yard gets plenty of sunlight and water. I want a
plug that spreads rather quickly because I am selling my house. What
can I do now to help my yard, I understand that the grass slows its
growth patern in the winter. Should do anything special till the
spring when I can plug.
Old 26-01-2003, 05:05 AM
animaux

Plugs take a good while to spread. I wouldn't spend a dime on that. What I'd
do if I were selling a house with spots which the grass was dead is to shape
that into a bed with S curves and plant some native or adapted shrubs. You get
far more bang for the buck with those when selling a house. OR you can do that
and don't plant anything there, but give an allowance in the price for the
people to buy whatever THEY want.

You probably have problems with chinch bugs in those drier areas. Do a search
to see what that looks like and see if that's your problem.

Old 26-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Hal

Plugging and sprigging is for someone with time to build a lawn. If
you want it to look nice "now" try a sod cutter and take out what you
don't like and replace it with sod of the variety that closely matches
what you have.
St Augustine likes a lot of water and tolerates shade well. It
should be obvious if it grows well around the sprinkler and doesn't
grow at greater distances between the sprinkler heads there isn't
enough water falling in those areas it doesn't grow.

Regards,

Hal

On 25 Jan 2003 17:08:52 -0800, (mike) wrote:

I have a St. augustine yard that grows well around the sprinklers but
there are a couple areas that don't really grow well. It just seems
to be brown. I think it has to do with the lack of sprinklers in that
area. But the sprinklers in the center do hit the area. I am going
to want to plug thoes areas in the spring. What kind of St. augustine
plugs should I get and how do I put the plugs in and what kind of
plugs should I get. Can I mix varietys of plugs. I live in west
central Florida. My yard gets plenty of sunlight and water. I want a
plug that spreads rather quickly because I am selling my house. What
can I do now to help my yard, I understand that the grass slows its
growth patern in the winter. Should do anything special till the
spring when I can plug.

[IMG] code is On

Question re Mulch and a St. Augustine Grass question. Ronn Cliiborn Lawns 0 23-08-2006 06:16 PM
Buffalo Grass lawns - was: Establishing/nurturing a lawn of St Augustine grass Felix Karpfen Gardening 0 21-03-2004 07:42 PM
Killing established St. Augustine grass zxcvar Lawns 0 28-08-2003 02:42 AM
St. Augustine grass zxcvar Lawns 2 27-08-2003 04:03 AM
Question about Lawn Program Central Florida St Augustine Grass Ebbtide Lawns 2 19-05-2003 11:44 PM