Old 26-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Me

Default dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees

I went to several different nurseries today to look at small fruit trees. A
saw one store advertise dwarf, and another advertising an ultra dwarf orange
tree. I believe both were Washington Navel Oranges.
My question is, are they using different terminology for the same type of
tree or is ultra dwarf indeed smaller? I had never heard of ultra dwarf.

I'm looking for the smallest possible tree and am hoping which ever I buy
will grow in the pot I buy it in. My backyard is narrow and I don't have the
room to plant it my soil. Will that work?

Thanks

Old 26-01-2003, 05:19 AM

http://puregold.aquaria.net/orchard/orchard.html
these are dwarf, but not super dwarf. Ingrid

"Me" wrote:

I went to several different nurseries today to look at small fruit trees. A
saw one store advertise dwarf, and another advertising an ultra dwarf orange
tree. I believe both were Washington Navel Oranges.
My question is, are they using different terminology for the same type of
tree or is ultra dwarf indeed smaller? I had never heard of ultra dwarf.

I'm looking for the smallest possible tree and am hoping which ever I buy
will grow in the pot I buy it in. My backyard is narrow and I don't have the
room to plant it my soil. Will that work?

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Elizabeth

The super dwarf citrus are usually grafted on 'Flying Dragon' rootstock.
This usually dwarfs to 6-8'.
The nurseries should know the name of the rootstock. If they don't or if it
isn't 'Flying Dragon' the trees are probably semi-dwarf, which get to 8-15'
generally.

elizabeth

hlink.net...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered User

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
I'm looking for the smallest possible tree and am hoping which ever I buy
will grow in the pot I buy it in. My backyard is narrow and I don't have the
room to plant it my soil. Will that work?
The ultra dwarfs are usually more assured to be grafted to a truly dwarf root stock. Which will help assure a small size.

Since you are planting in pots it won't matter much as the size of the pot will also restrict the size the tree can grow.

A dwarf fruit tree in a pot is the perfect solution for a very small garden area - they can even be brought indoors or placed on a balcony. Proper watering and feeding, and I like to spray with a compost tea, or bokashi, etc also.

http://www.dwarffruittrees.org