Old 20-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Dwight Sipler wrote:

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

...Run a couple of electric fence wires along the inside of your
fence, at the correct height.

He will not be permanently harmed, but he will probably never
approach the fence again...

This works, but please be aware of safety considerations. Use an
approved electric fence system: Never connect a bare wire to an outlet.

You will only do that once

Place signs on the fence warning people about it. People can sue you:
dogs can't (although their owners can).

Most garden centers sell small home versions. I think my dad got
his at Sears. And yes, follow direstions, and keepit inside your
property line. On insulators,mounted to the chain link posts,
your do.

Electric fence systems can be purchased at most farm supply places like
Agway. The electric fence is current limited so that it won't harm
animals or humans getting in contact with it (other than the possibility
of damage from a tool you're holding when you touch the fence). The
smaller ones can be shorted out by weeds growing into the fence and
conducting away the voltage.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Nonya

You could spray the area with 12 guage pellets...he'll stop!

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's

killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan Sullivan

Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 AM
zxcvbob

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

Most garden centers sell small home versions [eletric fence
chargers]. I think my dad got his at Sears. And yes, follow
direstions, and keepit inside your property line. On
insulators,mounted to the chain link posts, your do.

Careful. Those small chargers are not UL listed unless they are battery
operated. Medium- and high-powered chargers are UL listed.

Those "weed burner" chargers can start a fire. I've seen it before.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 20-05-2003, 05:08 AM
zxcvbob

Dan Sullivan wrote:

Hello,
My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's
killing my lawn. What can I can do to stop it?

The dog pee is only half the problem. You need to water your lawn.

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?
Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah. Pee on his side of the fence.

Best regards, :-)
Bob

Old 20-05-2003, 06:08 AM
jammer

On 19 May 2003 05:18:02 -0700, (Dan Sullivan)
wrote:

s there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

A short but effective brick wall.

Old 20-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Surfs Up

Be careful of the electric fence idea depending on where you live it might
be illegal and you can be charged and sued. As for the gun idea (only an
asshole would come up with that) also illegal depending on where you live.

Try sprinkling some gypsum on the spots it will neutralize the acid. Usually
only female dogs have the acid urine. Seems kinda funny if a female dog is
urinating through a chain link fence. LOL

Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 AM
knowbodies

Dan Sullivan wrote:

Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's
killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Others have suggested putting up an electric fence but I think that's a bit
extreme. You could try installing vinyl strips in the fence. The strips
should reflect most of the dog pee back into your neighbours yard. In
addition it will provide you with a bit more privacy. Talk to neighbour
about the problem, they should be willing to split the cost with you.

Running paving stones along the fence that are slightly tilted towards your
neighbour's yard should catch any of the dog pee that still makes it
through the fence. Pressure treated lumber or landscaping ties [1] that are
sufficiently staked into the ground would also work. As an added bonus
you'll never have to use a trimmer along the fence line again.

To fix the dead spots, flood the area with water for a couple of days in a
row to disipate the urine and then reseed the affected areas. In my
experience, killspots smaller than about 8"x8" don't need to be reseeded;
With sufficient watering, they'll grow back just as quickly as reseeding.

-----

[1] If at all possible use arsenic free treated lumber (IIRC, it usually
labelled AAC but ask the lunberyard just to be sure.). Especially if small
kids will around. Little kids will chew on the strangest things.

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great
Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 PM

both male and female have acid urine. however, males rarely dump their urine all in
the same place while females do dump all at once most of the time. more urine,
greater dead patch. Ingrid

Usually
only female dogs have the acid urine.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's

killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan Sullivan

Now....this is just me, but if it were my yard, I'd toss a handful of
Hershey kisses over to the dog each day, and pretend I didn't know that
chocolate could terminate a dog. I know I'll catch some grief for suggesting
this method, but my attitude toward the errors known as dogs is based on 30
years of trying to garden in spite of them, and their stupid owners.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Charlie" wrote in message
Um, we have two dogs and our lawn is far more green and lush than any

others
around here! I think something else could be your problem...

Grass damage due to dog urine is very common, enough so that you'll find
solutions for it all over the web, as well as in bulletins offered by
cooperative extension offices. The extent of damage might vary with the
amount of rainfall in a particular place, since the simplest solution is to
simply dilute the urine with heavy watering.

Old 22-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

Now....this is just me, but if it were my yard, I'd toss a handful of
Hershey kisses over to the dog each day, and pretend I didn't know that
chocolate could terminate a dog. I know I'll catch some grief for suggesting
this method, but my attitude toward the errors known as dogs is based on 30
years of trying to garden in spite of them, and their stupid owners.

Ah, so you kill the neighborhood kids when they put a baseball through
your window then?

Attempting to kill your neighbor's dog is *hardly* appropriate action
because the dog pees on your lawn. In most states, this is flat out
illegal and can (and IMHO, *should*) result in a jail sentence.

-Geoff

Old 22-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"Geoff Cashman" wrote in message
In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

Now....this is just me, but if it were my yard, I'd toss a handful of
Hershey kisses over to the dog each day, and pretend I didn't know that
chocolate could terminate a dog. I know I'll catch some grief for

suggesting
this method, but my attitude toward the errors known as dogs is based on

30
years of trying to garden in spite of them, and their stupid owners.

Ah, so you kill the neighborhood kids when they put a baseball through
your window then?

Attempting to kill your neighbor's dog is *hardly* appropriate action
because the dog pees on your lawn. In most states, this is flat out
illegal and can (and IMHO, *should*) result in a jail sentence.

-Geoff

1) You can *talk* to children and explain the problem to them. You cannot
talk to a dog, and you cannot talk to most dog owners who would let their
dog **** on your lawn. If they knew it was wrong, they'd put a stop to it
without being asked.

2) In some locales, including mine, it is legal to terminate a dog that's
damaging a food-producing garden. It's been the law since the 1940s, when
the "victory garden" idea was an important part of feeding families. My town
has chosen 3 times *not* to change this clause in their laws. Obviously,
terminating dogs is not such an alien concept. And yes, I realize the
original message was NOT related to a food-producing garden.

My viewpoint is based on having almost NO success in dealing with dogs
through legal channels, during 30 years of gardening. This is reality.
Old 22-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

1) You can *talk* to children and explain the problem to them. You cannot
talk to a dog, and you cannot talk to most dog owners who would let their
dog **** on your lawn. If they knew it was wrong, they'd put a stop to it
without being asked.

If they don't know their dog is doing it, then they have no reason
to stop them. You *can* talk to kids, but it doesn't mean they'll
stop either. If you have kids of your own, you should know this.

2) In some locales, including mine, it is legal to terminate a dog that's
damaging a food-producing garden. It's been the law since the 1940s, when
the "victory garden" idea was an important part of feeding families. My town
has chosen 3 times *not* to change this clause in their laws. Obviously,
terminating dogs is not such an alien concept. And yes, I realize the
original message was NOT related to a food-producing garden.

My viewpoint is based on having almost NO success in dealing with dogs
through legal channels, during 30 years of gardening. This is reality.

Killing a dog because he's ****ing on your grass is usually illegal.
Killing a dog because he's ****ing on your vegetable garden may not
be illegal, but certainly qualifies as stupid. How about taking some
of the burden of responsibility on your own shoulders? Maybe if you
didn't plant your tomatos right next to your fence you would have
less of a problem. Maybe if you told your neighbors that you have a
right to kill their dog if they pee on your garden you would get a
better response. Be glad you don't have me as a neighbor. I have
a dog, and I'm temporarily watching another dog. Both are males,
and both spend time in my (fenced in) backyard. If you killed one
of those dogs, I would do everything in my power to make certain
you paid for it. Your attitude is ridiculously arrogant and self-
centered.

Maybe after 30 years, you would have learned to place some form
of a barrier between yourself and your neighbor's dogs. I guess
not. But not to worry, the problem isn't yours. You can gleefully
kill the dogs. No problem.

Where do you live by the way? I bet your neighbors would like to
know of your intentions of killing their dogs if they pee on your
garden. But then again, I'm sure you've told them yourself. Or,
is it false bravado on your part?

-Geoff

Old 23-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Surfs Up

Leave it to stupid people like you to suggest something like that.

ASSHOLE!!!!!!