Old 23-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

"Geoff Cashman" wrote in message

Maybe after 30 years, you would have learned to place some form
of a barrier between yourself and your neighbor's dogs.

Zoning laws prevent placing a fence in the appropriate place, and the
arrangement of ancient trees on my property prevents relocating the
vegetable garden. Remember - I said all legal means had been exhausted.

But not to worry, the problem isn't yours.

I assume you mean "the blame for the situation". In that case, the problem
is not mine. The dog problems I refer to involve STRAYS - dogs roaming the
neighborhood off their leash and off their property. Here are the facts.
Suggest a solution.

1) The town has a "3 strikes" law. If your dog is picked up by animal
control while it's off its leash (and your property, obviously), you lose
your dog. It's taken to a place called (unbelievably) "Lollipop Farm", where
it is put down if not adopted within a certain period of time. Getting an
animal control drone to actually show up requires an act of Congress.

2) The animal control drone only works from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, except in
cases where an animal is dangerous and must be picked up immediately, for
reasons of public safety. At least half the stray dogs in my neighborhood
are out earlier than 7:00 AM, probably because their owners want them to
wreak havoc before they need to leave for work.

3) In cases where the dog is doing actual damage to property, the animal
control drone claims he must witness the act. He has been presented with
videotape of two dogs actually digging in my flower beds. One one tape, I
followed the dog home and taped it entering its home. The drone did not
consider this to be a valid reason to act.

The only remaining legal hope here is a reinterpretation of laws concerning
"civil trespass". This is defined as a situation where a neighbor causes or
allows substances or objects to enter your property, thereby doing damage.
An example would be chemicals sprayed over the property line by a lawn
service (or homeowner). If the law included dogs, it would eliminate the
need to witness damage. The mere presence of the dog would make the owner a
candidate for arrest.

Old 23-05-2003, 04:08 PM
pelirojaroja

You could sue the dog's owners in small claims court for damages, esp. with
proof of dog on video and following back into house. Even getting the
notice of suit filed would be a wake-up call. Don't need a lawyer to file,
either. From what I've heard, it's usually easy to file in s.c. court.
I've never sued anyone, btw (!), but my DH is a decent environmental one.

-- pelirojaroja

Old 23-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:
Zoning laws prevent placing a fence in the appropriate place, and the
arrangement of ancient trees on my property prevents relocating the
vegetable garden. Remember - I said all legal means had been exhausted.

Based on your post (thank you for the situation description, btw), it
sounds as if not all legal means have been exhausted.

The only remaining legal hope here is a reinterpretation of laws concerning
"civil trespass". This is defined as a situation where a neighbor causes or
allows substances or objects to enter your property, thereby doing damage.
An example would be chemicals sprayed over the property line by a lawn
service (or homeowner). If the law included dogs, it would eliminate the
need to witness damage. The mere presence of the dog would make the owner a
candidate for arrest.

I would investigate that legal hope. Also, you have not mentioned if you
have spoken to the owner of said dog. You could provide a copy of the
videotape to the owner, and inform them of what your rights are and
that you have a right to kill their dog if it pees on your vegetable
garden. Furthermore, you could (at this point) claim that you are
investigating the possibility of civil trespass, and may hold the
owner of the dog liable for all damages to your garden.

But, none of this can happen unless you speak with the owner.

On another tangent, you could complain to your local politicians,
providing them with a copy of the videotape as well as a copy of
the law, and ask them why they are not upholding their oath of
office.

I don't think you're done yet.

-Geoff

Old 23-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Bill Spohn

You could provide a copy of the
videotape to the owner, and inform them of what your rights are and
that you have a right to kill their dog if it pees on your vegetable
garden.

Or you could try to get it to eat daylilies........

I still think the electric fence is the easiest solution, or failing that a
rabid pit bull with an invisible fence to keep it on your side of the line -
and warn the neighbours that if their pooch ventures over the line he is fair
game - literally.......

Old 23-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Bill Spohn wrote:
I still think the electric fence is the easiest solution, or failing that a
rabid pit bull with an invisible fence to keep it on your side of the line -
and warn the neighbours that if their pooch ventures over the line he is fair
game - literally.......

My mother once handled a problem like this but in reverse. The neighborhood
in question was in the country, and each house had 3-5 acres, sometimes more.
A neighbor moved in about a quarter of a mile away who had a rather nasty pit
bull. It had killed one dog, but nobody actually saw the pit bull kill the
dog in question so nothing was done. My mother called the people and told
them, "If you continue to allow your pit bull to run around the neighborhood,
it might not go well for it. I have four german shepherds that would gladly
have a few minutes of fun with your dog." The owner permanently chained up
the dog.

-Geoff

Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"Geoff Cashman" wrote in message

On another tangent, you could complain to your local politicians,
providing them with a copy of the videotape as well as a copy of
the law, and ask them why they are not upholding their oath of
office.

I don't think you're done yet.

-Geoff

1) I speak to all dog owners before moving onward to other methods.

2) Unfortunately, I have a full time job, and like everyone else, I
sometimes need to take the shortest path to a solution. My view: My time at
work is worth "X". My time after work is worth X to the thousandth,
exponentially speaking. There is nobody who can pay me back that valuable
time, for gardening and fishing, and it is a crime to steal that time.

Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"Geoff Cashman" wrote in message

My mother once handled a problem like this but in reverse. The

neighborhood
in question was in the country, and each house had 3-5 acres, sometimes

more.
A neighbor moved in about a quarter of a mile away who had a rather nasty

pit
bull. It had killed one dog, but nobody actually saw the pit bull kill the
dog in question so nothing was done. My mother called the people and told
them, "If you continue to allow your pit bull to run around the

neighborhood,
it might not go well for it. I have four german shepherds that would

gladly
have a few minutes of fun with your dog." The owner permanently chained up
the dog.

-Geoff

Well...there ya go! When a dog leaves its property, it becomes something
else.

Old 27-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

Well...there ya go! When a dog leaves its property, it becomes something
else.

The key point in the story Doug is that the owner of the dog
was given a chance to reform their ways before their dog was
killed. You say you've spoken to the people, but have you
provided a copy of the video? Have you told them what your
rights are and that if it pees on your garden you can kill it?

If not, you still have work to do.

-Geoff

Old 30-05-2003, 01:44 AM
BiG_Orange

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
2) Unfortunately, I have a full time job, and like everyone else, I
sometimes need to take the shortest path to a solution. My view: My time
at
work is worth "X". My time after work is worth X to the thousandth,
exponentially speaking. There is nobody who can pay me back that valuable
time, for gardening and fishing, and it is a crime to steal that time.

Get real. Most Americans spend most of their time doing stuff that is
completely non-productive like watching TV, smoking cigarettes or watching
DVDs. If we all got to see what you really did with your time, we would most
likely feel like your time is virtually worthless. It would only take you a
few minutes to go next door, but I'd say the real problem is you don't know
how to communicate with anything other than the TV. I think you are just
chicken to confront your neighbor. You aren't fooling anyone here but
yourself.

Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
dementia13

work is worth "X". My time after work is worth X to the thousandth,
exponentially speaking. There is nobody who can pay me back that
valuable time, for gardening and fishing, and it is a crime to steal
that time.

Get real. Most Americans spend most of their time doing stuff that is
completely non-productive like watching TV, smoking cigarettes or
watching DVDs. If we all got to see what you really did with your time,
we would most likely feel like your time is virtually worthless. It
would only take you a few minutes to go next door,

You get real. First of all, he already said that he talked to his
neighbors. You didn't read his reply through: it wasn't talking to his
neighbors that he didn't want to spend his free time doing, it was
setting up video cameras and going to talk to politicians. If you're
going to flame a reply, you need to at least have read and understood it
first. Second, unless you're a complete machine, you need some time to
unwind after a day of work. Relaxing and spending time with family is
not "completely non-productive", grumpus. You can't get so wrapped up in
responsibilities that you don't enjoy life anymore, which your bitter
words suggest may have already happened.

Old 30-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Doug Kanter wrote:

1) I speak to all dog owners before moving onward to other methods.

2) Unfortunately, I have a full time job, and like everyone else, I
sometimes need to take the shortest path to a solution. My view: My time at
work is worth "X". My time after work is worth X to the thousandth,
exponentially speaking. There is nobody who can pay me back that valuable
time, for gardening and fishing, and it is a crime to steal that time.

Thus, it's a great idea to kill your neighbor's dog for peeing on
your lawn, which could resist in lengthy court cases and lots of
money. Brilliant solution!

-Geoff

Old 30-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
dementia13 wrote:
You get real. First of all, he already said that he talked to his
neighbors. You didn't read his reply through: it wasn't talking to his
neighbors that he didn't want to spend his free time doing, it was
setting up video cameras and going to talk to politicians.

He already did a video tape.

-Geoff