GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Neighbor's dog pees thru fence. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/27510-neighbors-dog-pees-thru-fence.html)

Dan Sullivan 19-05-2003 01:20 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan Sullivan

BiG Orange 19-05-2003 02:56 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's

killing my lawn.

Give me a break, a little dog pee is not going to kill your lawn, are you
sure you are not just a hard nosed neighbor looking for an excuse to
complain?

Dan Sullivan 19-05-2003 03:44 PM

"BiG Orange" @ wrote in message ...
"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's

killing my lawn.

Give me a break, a little dog pee is not going to kill your lawn, are you
sure you are not just a hard nosed neighbor looking for an excuse to
complain?

Not at all.

I've seen the dog pee thru the fence and the grass dies where it peed.

There are dead patches all along the fence line.

And I'm asking here so if there's a remedy like spreading coffee grinds or
something like that I won't have to speak with my FRIEND about it at all.

Dan

davekap@bellsouth,net 19-05-2003 03:44 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Put some lime down on the effected grass. It won't stop the dog but it will
neutralize the acid.

animaux 19-05-2003 03:44 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Suicide bombers are killing people. Dog pee through the fence? I'm sorry, but
that isn't a blip on the scale of blips.

Cate 19-05-2003 03:44 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message

And I'm asking here so if there's a remedy like spreading coffee grinds or
something like that I won't have to speak with my FRIEND about it at all.

Nothing you apply will prevent the dog from peeing where he's peed before.
So your options are to either add a barrier to the fence to prevent the
urine from reaching your grass or to mitigate the uric acid in the urine
once it's already on your grass. The most effective way of doing that is
copiously watering your grass in that area to dilute the uric acid. A few
gallons once or twice a week and you should notice an improvement.

Cate

Dwight Sipler 19-05-2003 03:56 PM

animaux wrote:

Suicide bombers are killing people. Dog pee through the fence? I'm sorry, but
that isn't a blip on the scale of blips...

This newsgroup does not deal with suicide bombers, but it has a long
history of dealing with dog pee on lawns.

Bill Spohn 19-05-2003 04:20 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Nothing you apply will prevent the dog from peeing where he's peed before

Not quite true.

We found that an electric fence wire placed where the dog liked to pee was VERY
effective after only one application (although I shuddered in sympathy).

Charlie 19-05-2003 04:32 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Um, we have two dogs and our lawn is far more green and lush than any others
around here! I think something else could be your problem...

Charlie.

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's

killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan Sullivan

---

MLEBLANCA 19-05-2003 05:08 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

In article ,
(Dan Sullivan) writes:

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's killing
my lawn.

LOL that must be some POWERFUL pee shooter!

What can I can do to stop it?

Be glad you don't have to trim the grass along the fence???

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

I'll bet that your "sprinkler" can shoot further than his!

Emilie

Valkyrie 19-05-2003 06:32 PM

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
Nothing you apply will prevent the dog from peeing where he's peed before

Not quite true.

We found that an electric fence wire placed where the dog liked to pee was

VERY
effective after only one application (although I shuddered in sympathy).

Yup, have used "electrical behavior modification therapy" on a dog that
came through to pee on the garbage can, clothes line posts and screen door.
It only takes once. I guarantee that dog won't even come to your side of
his property to pee after one zap.

Val

Tsu Dho Nimh 19-05-2003 07:08 PM

(Dan Sullivan) wrote:

Hello,

My next door neighbor's dog pees thru the chain link fence and it's killing my lawn.

What can I can do to stop it?

Is there something I can sprinkle by the fence to keep the dog away?

Run a couple of electric fence wires along the inside of your
fence, at the correct height.

He will not be permanently harmed, but he will probably never
approach the fence again.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Dwight Sipler 19-05-2003 08:56 PM

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

...Run a couple of electric fence wires along the inside of your
fence, at the correct height.

He will not be permanently harmed, but he will probably never
approach the fence again...

This works, but please be aware of safety considerations. Use an
approved electric fence system: Never connect a bare wire to an outlet.
Place signs on the fence warning people about it. People can sue you:
dogs can't (although their owners can).

Electric fence systems can be purchased at most farm supply places like
Agway. The electric fence is current limited so that it won't harm
animals or humans getting in contact with it (other than the possibility
of damage from a tool you're holding when you touch the fence). The
smaller ones can be shorted out by weeds growing into the fence and
conducting away the voltage.

BiG Orange 19-05-2003 09:44 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

Not at all.

I've seen the dog pee thru the fence and the grass dies where it peed.

There are dead patches all along the fence line.

I have a dog in the back yard and the grass is not dead, why is the pee
killing weeks and grass? I wish my dog's pee killed weeds, it's a lot
cheaper than chemicals!

Cereoid-UR12 19-05-2003 10:44 PM

Neighbor's dog pees thru fence.

The beast must have great aim!!!

Next time you catch the mutt in the act, take a beebee gun and shoot him in
the balls.
He should get the message after maybe two or three or four times.
Most dogs really aren't all that bright so it may take some time for him to
figure it out.
Now if the dog learns to like being shot in the balls you might have another
problem to deal with.