GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yard Machine lawn mower question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/27554-yard-machine-lawn-mower-question.html)

Ken_B 19-05-2003 06:08 PM

Yard Machine lawn mower question

I have acquired a used MTD Yard Machine 5-HP walk-behind mower. Works well
after I cleaned the air filter.

I downloaded a users manual from Briggs and Stratton, and they show a
"governor control lever" but never mention what it's for. Can anyone clue me
in?

Beats me how could any company put out a manual without explaining ALL the
parts and
controls pointed to with arrows!

Thanks.

Ken

Dave 20-05-2003 01:32 PM

Yard Machine lawn mower question

A governor is used to keep the speed of the engine from climbing up too
high. Just like some rental moving vans have on them to keep you under about
55-60 mph.

Dave
www.davco.bc.ca

Ken_B 20-05-2003 05:56 PM

Yard Machine lawn mower question

Thanks, but my question is about the lever that gives 2 settings for the
governor: Why? Not mentioned in the manual.

. ..

FarmerDill 20-05-2003 08:20 PM

Yard Machine lawn mower question

I downloaded a users manual from Briggs and Stratton, and they show a
"governor control lever" but never mention what it's for. Can anyone clue me
in?

Governed have throttles which change engine speeds by controling the governor
spring unlike an automobile whose throttle linkage controls the air flow.
Strange nomenclature but they just mean the throttle which enables you to
control the engine speed within its governed limits.

Ken_B 23-05-2003 06:08 AM

Yard Machine lawn mower question

Hi...

You can go to http://www.briggsandstratton.com - enter the site, then click
on "My engine information", then register. Once registered you can enter
information for your B&S engine: Model, Type, and Code (optional). You can
also add additional engines.

After that you can find a list of parts and accessories for that engine,
among which are manuals and parts lists, which can be viewed and saved at no
charge free as pdf files.

Also, at the top of the page is a link for specs for the engine, much of
which won't be in the manual. The specs are in a pop-up box with no
provision for printing, so I used a screen capture program to save it as a
jpg file, which I then printed.

Hope that helps.

Ken