Old 27-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Warren

Default Flower Boxes on Fence

Okay, I have this new cedar privacy fence (horizontal basket weave with
a cap) in my backyard to block my view of the new house next door, as
well as block their view of me. (It used to be a wonderfully wooded
lot.) I already had some boarder plantings, so I don't have to look at
the whole fence. It looks pretty good as it is. Of course I can't leave
it at that.

I'm thinking about a couple of long, narrow flower boxes strategically
placed along the fence. Maybe some trailing plants, and maybe some
upright, but not too tall (no more than 6") flowers. Getting to the
boxes to weed and water is possible, but not an everyday type thing.
There would be more than one box, and they wouldn't have to be all the
same. I could even seasonally rotate boxes by bringing one down, and
putting another up, unless something trailing from the box intertwines
itself in the fence. Of course the less maintenance, the better. Lord
knows I already have plenty of stuff to do already!

I'm in zone 8, south of Portland, OR, so the winters are rainy, and the
summers very dry. The top of the fence is pretty much in full sun -- at
least the parts that I'm thinking about doing this to. And I'm looking
more for color than just foliage.

Any ideas?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 27-01-2003, 12:45 AM

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:27:56 GMT, "Warren"
wrote:

I'm in zone 8, south of Portland, OR, so the winters are rainy, and the
summers very dry. The top of the fence is pretty much in full sun -- at
least the parts that I'm thinking about doing this to. And I'm looking
more for color than just foliage.

Any ideas?

The people I bought my spot from had ledges on the fence that they
kept plants on. I talked to the local nurseymen about some plants for
them, and they warned me that it would be very difficult to grow
plants there, because the wind and sun would dry them out very
quickly. So my idea is, make sure you can water yours without too
much difficulty!

Rebecca
Old 27-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Valkyrie

"Warren" wrote in message
[...]

I think if you are set on doing this you'd be wise to invest in some of that
water crystal gel stuff. If you mix that in with a good quality potting soil
it would certainly keep your window boxes from drying out as rapidly.

Val

Old 27-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Beecrofter

Any ideas?

Drip irrigation
Old 27-01-2003, 01:59 PM
wendy

thank you very much for letting me see your page."Valkyrie" wrote in message news:1043652152.529777@yasure...
"Warren" wrote in message
[...]

I have find this page very helpfull.

Old 27-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Warren

Warren wrote:
[...]

I was hoping for some ideas on plant possibilities, rather than getting
hung-up on how to water them. I'll make sure that what, if anything, is
chosen that it will get the water it needs, but before getting to the
point of how to maintain it, I need some ideas for plants.

If the best options in plants require too much maintenance, then I won't
go ahead with the plan. But first I need some plant options to consider.
Low maintenance will be a consideration in the choice, but let's get
some ideas on the table first, and then we can determine what
maintenance they'll need.

So to refocus what I was looking for, does anyone have any ideas on what
would look good in this situation?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 28-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Beecrofter wrote:

Any ideas?

Drip irrigation

Cactus.
Old 28-01-2003, 04:13 PM

In article XffZ9.62056$Ve4.6728@sccrnsc03, "Warren"
wrote:

Warren wrote:
[...]

I have plants in small containers on my fence every summer. I often
grown calibrachoa--a thing from the Proven Winners line that looks like
a little petunia but doesn't need to be deadhead faithfully like a
petunia. They look good until late August, when they sort of poop out.
You can see them at www.provenwinners.com. However, I do water them
about every day, but it's not a big deal because I use a 4' watering
wand. It takes about 10 minutes to water 12 containers--it's just walk
and squirt. I use time-release fertilizer. I don't weed the containerss
and don't need to.