Old 21-05-2003, 12:08 AM
k boeheim

Default Help, What are these micro red insects?

We live in Western New York in a 3 y/o home. We have small, micro sized red
(rust) insects (mites?) on our inside window sills and patio door sills. On
the outside we can see them on the siding and up near the soffits. Their
life span seem short as they die in about 48 hours and in the evening they
are gone. The warmer the temp the more they are active. What are they and
how do I get rid of them?

Thank for any advise.

keith

Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 20 May 2003 23:06:53 GMT, "k boeheim"
wrote:

We live in Western New York in a 3 y/o home. We have small, micro sized red
(rust) insects (mites?) on our inside window sills and patio door sills. On
the outside we can see them on the siding and up near the soffits. Their
life span seem short as they die in about 48 hours and in the evening they
are gone. The warmer the temp the more they are active. What are they and
how do I get rid of them?

Thank for any advise.

keith

Look at one under magnification. You'll be able to see if they are
insects or spiders. Spider mites like hot and dry conditions.

Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Thalocean2

We used to have a serious problem with these little buggies. Drove me insane
until I discovered what worked to keep them at bay. Sprinkle talcum powder
inside your window/door sills. It stops most from crossing the line of talc
and the ones that do cross die shortly there after. Old mustard containers
with fine tips work really well for applying the talc.

Good luck,
Laura B.

Old 21-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Iris Cohen

This question comes up every summer without fail. These are not "red spider
mites" which are much smaller & only found on plants. The creatures you
describe are clover mites. They are entirely harmless. Someone said they are
predatory, but I doubt it. I think they are only scavengers. If you find them a
nuisance, get one of the household sprays with clover mites listed on the
label. As you noticed, even if you do nothing, they go away by themselves.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)