GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/27907-plant-id-please.html)

Thalocean2 21-05-2003 07:56 AM

Plant ID please

It's got a tulip type base and leaves, a very tall stem and a ball of tiny
purple flowers on top. Any clues?

http://hometown.aol.com/thalocean2/index.html

Thanks,
Laura B.

Purchgdss 21-05-2003 11:32 AM

Plant ID please

It's got a tulip type base and leaves, a very tall stem and a ball of tiny
purple flowers on top. Any clues?

http://hometown.aol.com/thalocean2/index.html

Thanks,
Laura B.

Woo Hoo! I think I can get one!!!

It's a Globe Allium (Allium Globemaster).

And if I'm wrong, don't ruin my delusion! LOLOL Actually, please do because
my head is expanding so I cant fit thru the door and I need to get to work.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Sed5555 21-05-2003 11:56 AM

Plant ID please

It's got a tulip type base and leaves, a very tall stem and a ball of tiny
purple flowers on top. Any clues?

Allium. A member of the onion family. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE....htm#Flowering
alliums diverse, lovely
sed5555

Cereoid-UR12 21-05-2003 12:44 PM

Plant ID please

The onion-like odor of the cut foliage should be a dead giveaway that its an
Allium.

Its Allium aflatunense

There are dozens of pictures of it on-line.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ff&q=allium+af
latunense&btnG=Google+Search

Stephen M. Henning 21-05-2003 04:08 PM

Plant ID please

(Thalocean2) wrote:

It's got a tulip type base and leaves, a very tall stem and a ball of tiny
purple flowers on top. Any clues?

http://hometown.aol.com/thalocean2/index.html

I agree it is an ornamental allium. However, there is a very similar
plant that is grown in gardens: Agapanthus or "Lily of the Nile" from
South Africa. I saw these in gardens all over in Australia and kept
mistaking them for allium. They were either blue or white. For more see:
http://www.emilycompost.com/agapanthus.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning

Thalocean2 21-05-2003 07:44 PM

Plant ID please

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After looking at the pictures I agree it
could be either the allium or agapanthus. I'd need to see both plants close up
to make a call. Stephen, does the agapanthus also grow from a bulb? I suppose
I could go looking for a bulb if it doesn't and that would make for a good ID.

Either way, these guys are beautiful. I don't know where they came from.
Either blown in seed or some squirrel burying bulbs?

Thanks everyone,
Laura B.

Cereoid-UR12yo 21-05-2003 08:08 PM

Plant ID please

Aren't you paying attention, dude?

Its still Allium aflatunense.

Definitely NOT an Agapanthus. They are not similar.

Agapannthus have zygomorphic flowers, do not have bulbs and do no have an
onion-like odor.