Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Valkyrie

Default lost iris

I was curled up the couch today(too crappy for me to be outside) with my cat
and a pile of gardening books I hadn't looked at for awhile and was thinking
about gardens past. Tucked in one of the books was an old Polaroid of my
garden gate in Seattle and I saw a clump of iris that I have no idea what
they were. I had been working on a storm system on the east side of King
County and spied a clump of garden debris somebody had dumped off the side
of the road and I had retrieved some "good stuff" and brought it home.
These iris were just wonderful. They grew about 12" tall, were a very,very
pale lavender and had the most marvelous scent. It was sort of a cross
between jasmine and cotton candy. I remember people strolling by on the
sidewalk and stop as they passed and then turn and sniff to see where that
wonderful scent was coming from. They multiplied fast and I always gave a
tuber to anyone who asked. I called an old neighbor, who still lives across
the street from that house and asked her if they were still there, thinking
I might get a start and was saddened to hear that the last people to buy the
house took down the fence and gated arbor have blacktopped over the entire
side garden.

Does anyone have any idea what they could have been, does anyone have any
similar heavily sweet scented iris? I would sure love to get a little start
for a pot on my balcony. I'd be more than happy to pay any expense for
mailing them.

Val

Old 04-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Starlord

You would have to check with people who grow the old kind of iris and show them
photos of the iris and even then it's a big IF that they could be ID'ed and if
you di ID them, then you'd have to find someone who would be willing to trade or
sell you a RHIZOME of the iris (Dahlias have tubers, not Iris).

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writters Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 04-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Dan

On Sat, 3 May 2003 16:52:27 -0700, "Valkyrie"
wrote:

These iris were just wonderful. They grew about 12" tall, were a very,very
pale lavender and had the most marvelous scent. It was sort of a cross
between jasmine and cotton candy.

Does anyone have any idea what they could have been, does anyone have any
similar heavily sweet scented iris? I would sure love to get a little start
for a pot on my balcony. I'd be more than happy to pay any expense for
mailing them.

I have these everywhere in my yard, and need to thin out about 20 lbs
of rhizomes. In a week or two I'll have flowers, they're shooting up
stalks right now. They flowers are mostly light lavender-white with a
few darker violet petals. The odor is everywhere.

I don't think your email address works. Please send your mailing
address to "dstevans njmsa umdnj educational", the last three parts
being the domain and the first part my email account name. Shorten
the last part of the domain to edu.

Dan

Old 04-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Valkyrie

I'm so excited * happy dance* I sent a test mail, hoping I understood your
code. dstevansATnjmsaDOTumdnjDOTeducational, I hope that's what you meant.

Val

Old 07-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Dan

On Sun, 04 May 2003 08:51:28 -0500, lwr wrote:

Hello Dan - No, I won't burden you with a request to send some to me too - at
least not yet G - but I'm curious - do these 'fragrant' iris do their thing in
Missouri's zone 5 - I wonder? - Wes/MO

I think they would tolerate the weather. I am zone 5 here in nw NJ
(technically zone 6 down in valleys but definetly zone 5 up here)

Dan

Old 24-05-2003, 05:32 AM
JStubbs358

I think they would tolerate the weather. I am zone 5 here in nw NJ
(technically zone 6 down in valleys but definetly zone 5 up here)

Dan

Dan Do those iris like dry conditions or wet? I love iris have found most
bearded do well here in south texas very sunny dry conditions. Would yours
qualify?
Old 24-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Laura Gilbert

I have an Iris bed, and they have done very well for me. They are in a well
drained area that gets about 6 hours of sun daily, we are in zone 7. I do
know that they do not like wet feet, and should not be mulched.
Hope that helps.

Laura in Virginia