GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this tree with purple blossoms? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/28180-what-tree-purple-blossoms.html)

Jimbo156 22-05-2003 05:20 PM

What is this tree with purple blossoms?

A neighbor has a tree that is about 8 ft. tall that was covered with
large purple blossoms in early spring (in S. Texas)...now the blossoms
hve gone, but there are bean pods hanging straight down that are
probably 4 in. long. Any idea what it is?

An Ominous 22-05-2003 08:44 PM

What is this tree with purple blossoms?

"Jimbo156" wrote in message
om...
A neighbor has a tree that is about 8 ft. tall that was covered with
large purple blossoms in early spring (in S. Texas)...now the blossoms
hve gone, but there are bean pods hanging straight down that are
probably 4 in. long. Any idea what it is?

Sounds like wisteria, which is a vine that can be pruned to look like a
tree, or which may have taken over a small tree as it's trellis. It's blooms
are shaped sort of like grape clusters, which are beautiful, fragrant,
profuse in spring, and sporadic thereafter. Flowers are replaced by a 'bean
pod' with flat dark seeds in it, which bursts when ripened and dried,
sending the seeds several feet away. A lovely but Incredibly destructive
and invasive vine, if not carefully and constantly controlled, at least in
the south.

animaux 22-05-2003 09:44 PM

On 22 May 2003 09:19:38 -0700, (Jimbo156) wrote:

A neighbor has a tree that is about 8 ft. tall that was covered with
large purple blossoms in early spring (in S. Texas)...now the blossoms
hve gone, but there are bean pods hanging straight down that are
probably 4 in. long. Any idea what it is?

It could be redbud, paulownia, and any number of trees or shrubs. Can you
describe it better or do a search for the two I named and see if this is what
you're talking about. OR knock on the neighbors door and ask!

I have a palo verde tree in my yard and at least once a year people knock on the
door and ask what it is. In spring I now dig out any seedlings and have them
ready for when those people stop. I give them their own tree!

victoria

cat daddy 23-05-2003 04:08 AM

What is this tree with purple blossoms?

"Jimbo156" wrote in message
om...
A neighbor has a tree that is about 8 ft. tall that was covered with
large purple blossoms in early spring (in S. Texas)...now the blossoms
hve gone, but there are bean pods hanging straight down that are
probably 4 in. long. Any idea what it is?

Texas Mountain Laurel?
http://www.desverde.com/treegallery/texasmtnlaurel.cfm

Tom Randy 24-05-2003 12:56 PM

On Thu, 22 May 2003 12:19:38 -0400, Jimbo156 wrote:

A neighbor has a tree that is about 8 ft. tall that was covered with
large purple blossoms in early spring (in S. Texas)...now the blossoms
hve gone, but there are bean pods hanging straight down that are probably
4 in. long. Any idea what it is?

Sounds like Wisteria but it would be too early for Wisteria seed pods I
would think...