Old 22-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Mike

Default Sapsucker attacking my silver burch

I have a persistence sapsucker that hits my two silver burches. One of
them is suffering (leaves are 1/2 the size of the other), and wounds
are leaking sap. I've tried covering the trunk (damage) in foam wrap,
but the bird just goes to a different place.

Does anyone have a remedy to stop this persistent sapsucker from
coming back. I can get within 5-feet of him, before he flies off.

I'm located in WA.
Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM

your birch got borers. get a couple cans of systemic and wipe out the borers and the
sapsuckers will stop going after it. we had an oooold apple tree drilled with lots
of holes. I took a wire brush to the bark, then painted it and that stopped the
drilling. until then you can try some tanglefoot on the trunks. Ingrid

Mike wrote:

I have a persistence sapsucker that hits my two silver burches. One of
them is suffering (leaves are 1/2 the size of the other), and wounds
are leaking sap. I've tried covering the trunk (damage) in foam wrap,
but the bird just goes to a different place.

Does anyone have a remedy to stop this persistent sapsucker from
coming back. I can get within 5-feet of him, before he flies off.

I'm located in WA.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Beecrofter

Mike wrote in message . ..
I have a persistence sapsucker that hits my two silver burches. One of
them is suffering (leaves are 1/2 the size of the other), and wounds
are leaking sap. I've tried covering the trunk (damage) in foam wrap,
but the bird just goes to a different place.

Does anyone have a remedy to stop this persistent sapsucker from
coming back. I can get within 5-feet of him, before he flies off.

I'm located in WA.

The bad news is that you have birch borers
The good news is the sapsucker is doing less damage than the borers
and is eating them.
The borers will girdle the tree.
The Sapsucker just makes holes.

You may have the wrong tree for your area , river birch is less
susceptible to borer.

Almost any search engine will turn up info on birch borer or bronze
headed birch borer. The better pages come from cooperative extensions
and land grant colleges.