Old 23-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Martin

Default Cost of paver walkway?

We need to replace a broken up slate walk and are thinking of one using
pavers, about 3'x55'. We would use Holland pavers, which are about the
size and shape of ordinary bricks, about 8"x4".

Would anyone have an idea of the cost of such a walk, installed?

Old 23-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Elizabeth

Holland pavers run about 55 - 60 cents each. Using .58, it would cost
$446.00 for the pavers (770) and aprx. $60.00 for 17 bags of coarse paver
sand. Tax not included. Also assuming you don't need to buy any tools. hth,

elizabeth

et...

Old 23-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Jeff Cochran

On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:35:17 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

We need to replace a broken up slate walk and are thinking of one using
pavers, about 3'x55'. We would use Holland pavers, which are about the
size and shape of ordinary bricks, about 8"x4".

Would anyone have an idea of the cost of such a walk, installed?

First, you'll get an accurate amount by calling locally for an
estimate. Locally (mine, not necessarily yours) such pavers run about
$5 a square foot installed on a sand bed, or about $750 for your walk.
Removal of existing walk would be extra.

Jeff
Old 24-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Muff

Marty, I just had a 22' X 10' paver brick driveway put in. Here in Tampa I
called several for quotes, ranged from $4.00 Sq Ft to 7.50 Sq Ft.

I went with the $4.00(I'm cheap) but found out too late that the $4.50 guy
would have done a much better quality job. But I guess you get what you pay
for.

Get estimates and check out other jobs by the contractor before you agree .
Muff

et...

Old 24-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Martin

Thanks for the reply.

The best we've gotten so far, three quotes, is $10. One I'm not even
counting was $15. I guess we'll have to either move or wait until the
building boom in this area collapses :-).

I'd be interested in what you found the quality difference to be between the
$4.00 and $4.50 jobs.

Marty

"Muff" wrote in message
Marty, I just had a 22' X 10' paver brick driveway put in. Here in Tampa I
called several for quotes, ranged from $4.00 Sq Ft to 7.50 Sq Ft.

I went with the $4.00(I'm cheap) but found out too late that the $4.50 guy
would have done a much better quality job. But I guess you get what you

pay
for.

Get estimates and check out other jobs by the contractor before you agree

..
Muff

et...

Old 25-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Muff

The difference was the quality and ability of the installers. The $.50 guy
cared what his finished job looked like , had a real sense of pride in his
work. The 4.00 guy was like a robot, placed brick, placed brick and if they
were a little off well....so what.

Marty what part of the country are you in, sounds like you are being quoted
union prices?
Muff

et...

"Muff" wrote in message
Marty, I just had a 22' X 10' paver brick driveway put in. Here in Tampa

called several for quotes, ranged from $4.00 Sq Ft to 7.50 Sq Ft.

I went with the $4.00(I'm cheap) but found out too late that the $4.50

guy
would have done a much better quality job. But I guess you get what you

pay
for.

Get estimates and check out other jobs by the contractor before you

agree
.
Muff

et...

Old 25-05-2003, 11:32 AM
TakeThisOut

In article , "Muff"

From: "Muff"
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:18:44 GMT

The difference was the quality and ability of the installers. The $.50 guy
cared what his finished job looked like , had a real sense of pride in his
work. The 4.00 guy was like a robot, placed brick, placed brick and if they
were a little off well....so what.

Marty what part of the country are you in, sounds like you are being quoted
union prices?
Muff

Yes, it does sound like you're being quoted prices that might allow a
bricklayer to afford his own home instead of a single-wide, a decent personal
vehicle and maybe a decent college education for a kid or to. Maybe some
medical benefits as well, so we all don't have to fott his family's healt care
costs through "free" clinics.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 25-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Martin

They're all small owner operated businesses in this area of Connecticut, no
unions. It's a case of supply and demand. Low unemployment rate, lots of
building activity.

And incidentally, I have no problem with them trying to get a high price;
wish them luck; but I think it's the consumers' duty to try to get the
lowest price. That's what makes a market. Free enterprise; the American
way!

Marty

"Muff" wrote in message
Marty, I just had a 22' X 10' paver brick driveway put in. Here in

Tampa
called several for quotes, ranged from $4.00 Sq Ft to 7.50 Sq Ft.

I went with the $4.00(I'm cheap) but found out too late that the $4.50

guy
would have done a much better quality job. But I guess you get what

you
pay
for.

Get estimates and check out other jobs by the contractor before you

agree
.
Muff

et...