Old 24-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim

Default Protecting Plums

I have a fairly new plum tree that looks like it will bear some fruit this
year. There are at least 12 plums that I can see. I am really excited. Do
I have to net the tree or any thing to keep the plums from being squirrel,
possum, or bird food?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 24-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Peejoe

No extra measures are needed. While it is true that most fruits
(cherries, apples, etc.) are very attractive to birds and other
wildlife, it seems that plums do not hold the same appeal and are
relatively immume to predation by animals.

The current theory is that since plums eventually become prunes, no
animal with any sense wants anything to do with them.

Old 24-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Registered User

Location: London

I disagree with the above post. Squirrels do eat plums and they know when the right time to eat them is as well. Unfortunatly it is the same time as when we are want to eat them at well.

personally seeing as they are your first I would try and put some kind of net around the most healthy one. Lets the unhealthy ones grow and see if they are attacked by squrels,etc.
Old 24-05-2003, 10:20 PM
montana

In article nk.net,
"Jim" wrote:

I have a fairly new plum tree that looks like it will bear some fruit this
year. There are at least 12 plums that I can see. I am really excited. Do
I have to net the tree or any thing to keep the plums from being squirrel,
possum, or bird food?

We have a "Japanese Plum" which bears fruit every now and again (not
regularly). and the critters pretty much left them alone. It wasn't
until they were quite ripe or on the ground that there was a great deal
of interest.

Since we have no real use for a tree full of plums, we're pretty happy
to share them...

Sometimes people put onion bags or other "netting" like that over select
bunches of fruit.

[IMG] code is On

Plums gh United Kingdom 0 22-06-2003 04:09 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM