Old 24-05-2003, 06:44 PM
J A Kirby

Default Battery powered strimmer

Has anyone any experience of electric cordless strimmers? I can't stand
using cord in the garden, they're just not safe, and petrol is too noisy and
heavy, plus all the faff.

All comments appreciated

Jon

Old 25-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Frank Logullo

"J A Kirby" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience of electric cordless strimmers? I can't stand
using cord in the garden, they're just not safe, and petrol is too noisy

and
heavy, plus all the faff.

I've got one. It is the Homelite combo special from Home Depot ($99) with
hedge trimmer and batteries (18 V) for both plus charger It does a good job
but the hedge trimmer is marginal. Gas trimmers, as you say, are noisy and
clothes must go in the hamper and you in the shower after use.
Frank

Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 AM

I'm looking into cordless trimmers as well and found this, have a
look:

http://www.powerexperts.com/gardener/products.html

G.

Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Vox Humana

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"J A Kirby" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience of electric cordless strimmers? I can't stand
using cord in the garden, they're just not safe, and petrol is too noisy

and
heavy, plus all the faff.

I've got one. It is the Homelite combo special from Home Depot ($99) with
hedge trimmer and batteries (18 V) for both plus charger It does a good

job
but the hedge trimmer is marginal. Gas trimmers, as you say, are noisy

and
clothes must go in the hamper and you in the shower after use.
Frank

I find that 4 cycle engines don't douse you with the oily fumes you get from
2 cycle engines.

Old 25-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 24 May 2003 22:23:52 -0400, Vox Humana wrote:

I find that 4 cycle engines don't douse you with the oily fumes you get
from 2 cycle engines.

I'll second that, noisey yes, smelly, no.

Old 26-05-2003, 12:08 AM
davekap@bellsouth,net

It's convenient to use but has much less power than the gasoline model. I
start off and it would be comparable to a small electric trimmer but after
ten minutes, it's really laboring when trying to edge.

Old 26-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Big Al

I recently bought the Toro 12V model (Home Depot, $59). I like it so
far. I had a Poulan gas model before. The Poulan was a piece of
crap. It would not start after the first year. My mom gave me her
old electric model, which works ok, but who wants to drag the cord all
over? The Toro cordless has adequate power for normal weeds and
grass. With a full charge I can do all the trimming on my 1.5 acre
lot. Actually the battery lasts longer than my biceps. I am thinking
about getting a shoulder strap.