GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sycamore trees in midwest? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/28706-sycamore-trees-midwest.html)

Brigg222 25-05-2003 05:56 AM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

Hello, This is the third spring in a row where my sycamore tree starts
growing it`s leaves and then some, almost all, die and fall off. As the year
goes on and the weather warms into summer the tree then re-starts it`s growing
of new leafs.
By summer end there are lots of leaves, and the tree seems fine. I read on
the internet about a sycamore anthracnose fungus problem that can happen to
these type of trees. I couldn`t find anything about controlling this fungus.
I don`t know if this fungus thing is the problem.... Anyone else out there
having the same problem? Midwest = ILL. Thanks in advance for any info.
Dan.

SAS567 27-05-2003 03:44 AM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

I don`t know if this fungus thing is the problem.... Anyone else out there
having the same problem? Midwest = ILL.

Hi Dan,
I live in mid-Mich. and I've had my Sycamore for 7yrs. It's only about 7'
tall but I've never had a problem with it like you've described. A couple of
years ago we had a late frost and it caused a similar problem, but it recovered
fine.
Good Luck!
Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)

Mason121 27-05-2003 04:56 AM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

Hi Dan,
I live in mid-Mich. and I've had my Sycamore for 7yrs. It's only about 7'
tall but I've never had a problem with it like you've described. A couple of
years ago we had a late frost and it caused a similar problem, but it
recovered
fine.

Hi Sue, Maybe this is a problem that is local then? My tree was here when I
bought the house in 1982 and is almost full grown. I don`t know how big they
get but mine is quite big. I also noticed that there are alot of other
sycamore trees in my town and they are all in the same condition as mine. I
never saw this problem before since I moved in till the last 3 years. From
what I have read here on the internet this problem won`t kill the
tree.....hopefully not?
Dan.

MLEBLANCA 27-05-2003 04:56 PM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

In article ,
(Brigg222) writes:

Hello, This is the third spring in a row where my sycamore tree starts
growing it`s leaves and then some, almost all, die and fall off. As the
year
goes on and the weather warms into summer the tree then re-starts it`s
growing
of new leafs.
By summer end there are lots of leaves, and the tree seems fine. I read on
the internet about a sycamore anthracnose fungus problem that can happen to
these type of trees. I couldn`t find anything about controlling this fungus.

I don`t know if this fungus thing is the problem.... Anyone else out there
having the same problem? Midwest = ILL. Thanks in advance for any info.
Dan.

Hello Dan
Yes, we have the same probem with the sycamores here in the Northern
Sacramento Valley of California. We have had this year a very long, cold,
wet spring. The sycamores are very sad to look at, but are putting out
new leaves now that it has warmed up and dried out.

Yes it is anthracnose, and there is nothing that you can do but wait.
The trees seem to recover, but I would think that several years in a row
must weaken the trees somewhat.

Emilie
NorCal

Brigg222 29-05-2003 06:20 AM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

Yes it is anthracnose, and there is nothing that you can do but wait.
The trees seem to recover, but I would think that several years in a row
must weaken the trees somewhat.

Emilie
NorCal

Hi Emilie, When I posted before the tree
was starting to re-leaf out. Now the weather has gotten cool again with alot
of rain. Now the new leaves are dying. Also
the other trees in my town look totally dead. I guess it doesen`t mean they
are dead they just look like it.
Dan.

MLEBLANCA 30-05-2003 06:08 PM

Sycamore trees in midwest?

In article ,
(Brigg222) writes:

Yes it is anthracnose, and there is nothing that you can do but wait.
The trees seem to recover, but I would think that several years in a row
must weaken the trees somewhat.

Emilie
NorCal

Hi Emilie, When I posted before the tree
was starting to re-leaf out. Now the weather has gotten cool again with alot
of rain. Now the new leaves are dying. Also
the other trees in my town look totally dead. I guess it doesen`t mean they
are dead they just look like it.
Dan.

I'm sorry about the trees. I think they will recover, but they sure look sad,
don't they?
Our sycamores now look pretty good. No rain for three weeks, and temps
in the 100s for three days. (this am is 65 brrrr degrees).
Hope you get leafy trees soon!
Emilie
NorCal