GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Sunflowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/28982-transplanting-sunflowers.html)

Jim 26-05-2003 03:32 PM

Transplanting Sunflowers

I have moved some of my sunflower which by the way have not bloomed
yet. Their leaves are wilting. Is there someting I can do to help them
along or will it pass and if so how long?

Thank you

Tyra Trevellyn 26-05-2003 05:08 PM

Transplanting Sunflowers

From: (Jim)
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 10:29 AM
I have moved some of my sunflower which by the way have not bloomed
yet. Their leaves are wilting. Is there someting I can do to help them
along or will it pass and if so how long?

Thank you

This is typical. You've got to give them extra water for a few days. In fact,
most plants need supplemental watering after being moved. Their roots must
settle into the new area before they can effectively absorb the water they
need. (There's no timetable for this, but it shouldn't take too long.) Keep
watch over the young plants and when the leaves have perked up in a cool part
of the day (e.g., early morning), they probably have enough water for a while.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a

dommy 26-05-2003 09:21 PM

Yes i agree this is normal for sunflowers. After transplanting give them a good watering and if you can cover them with something to provide shade.

Once the plant looks healthy again take away the cover and they will be ok.