Old 26-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Mark Pruett

Default What's chowing down on my hop plants?

I live in the D/FW area, and I'm growing a Mt. Hood vine that's doing
fine, except that some sort of insect is making a feast of the leaves-
eating holes in the middle and from the outside also. I've been
dusting them with Schultz Garden Safe pyrethrin dust, but I'm not so
sure it's working- it's hard to keep on since it's been raining a lot
lately.

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 26-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Purchgdss

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

Ahhhhhh I know those well. Flea beetles. They would be putting the holes in
the leaves......

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 27-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Herb G.

You have Japanese beatles. The only method I know to get rid of them is to
spray your hops with Malathion or Thiodan. Either one is very effective at
ridding your plants of these critters. Follow the label directions
carefully.
Herb G.

--

"The 'Ole Spotted Dog Brewery"
Home of the Black Mamba Barleywine

Old 27-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Ricky Nickolson

I dunno if it's available where you live, but down here in the south we have
something called "Sevins dust" (not sure if I spelled it correctly or not)
that we routinely use on food crops, so I would think that it might not hurt
you to try it on the hops. I prefer to find out the name of the bug and then
try to encourage whatever natural predators eat the pests, but in a pinch do
whatever works. Could it be slugs? I haven't grown hops yet, so I don't
have a clue what might eat them though..

Good luck!

Ricky

"Herb G." wrote in message
You have Japanese beatles. The only method I know to get rid of them is to
spray your hops with Malathion or Thiodan. Either one is very effective at
ridding your plants of these critters. Follow the label directions
carefully.
Herb G.

--

"The 'Ole Spotted Dog Brewery"
Home of the Black Mamba Barleywine
"You'll Swear You Were Snakebit"©

---

Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Bill Riel

Ricky Nickolson (fakeaddress)) wrote:
: I dunno if it's available where you live, but down here in the south we have
: something called "Sevins dust" (not sure if I spelled it correctly or not)
: that we routinely use on food crops, so I would think that it might not hurt
: you to try it on the hops.

Sevin is also known as carbaryl. It's a very effective insecticide and
known to have a very low toxicity to mammals. Even so, I agree with the
following:

: I prefer to find out the name of the bug and then
: try to encourage whatever natural predators eat the pests, but in a pinch do
: whatever works.

I a forest entomogist (well, that may be stretching things a bit, but
what's a little exaggeration among brewers!), and I know nothing about
pests of hops, but I do have a friend that did his graduate degree in
entomology in Oregon, and did his research in the hop fields.

If the OP can give a good description of the bugs he thinks are eating his
hops along with his geographic location I can forward that to my friend
and he may be able to ID them and suggest a remedy...

Apologies if that was already given - I'm behind on reading the newsgroup
and too lazy to google right now...

Bill

Old 27-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Beecrofter

Put a shallow pan of water with a few drops of dish detergent added
under the hops and see what falls in.
Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Jack Mowbray

If you're concerned about using pesticides, an alternative solution
might be to place pheromone containing japanese beetle traps some
distance away from the hops (preferably on your neighbor's property
8-))

Jack

Old 27-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Miker

Japanese beetles are huge so you would have spotted them by now. The
small shiny black beetles do sound like flea beetles (if they jump).
They will leave a shot hole appearance to the leaf like someone
blasted your plant with a shotgun.

They will do some damage but are not going to reduce yield. Don't
worry about them. Keep searching plants during the day and also at
night with a flashlight to see what else turns up.

By the way, pyrethrins are a contact insecticide and break down
quickly in sunlight.

Forget about Malathion, Sevin, or Thiodan until you know what your
dealing with, and if its just flea beetle then repeat after me: Relax.
Don't Worry...
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
David Hill

As the new shoots of Hop can be eaten like asparagus, I wonder if you have
had mice or something of that ilk?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-05-2003, 10:44 PM
mattoleriver

This site has pictures of some pests and diseases. Maybe there will be
something that you recognize.
http://www.usahops.org/english/pestdis.asp
George

Old 30-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Zemedelec

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?

Post on soc.culture Czecho-slovak. After the Egyptians, the Czechs more or
less invented beer--particularly Pilsner (from Plzen) so somone there might
have some hops connections.

zemedelec
Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
evilpaul13

(Mark Pruett) wrote in message . com...
I live in the D/FW area, and I'm growing a Mt. Hood vine that's doing
fine, except that some sort of insect is making a feast of the leaves-
eating holes in the middle and from the outside also. I've been
dusting them with Schultz Garden Safe pyrethrin dust, but I'm not so
sure it's working- it's hard to keep on since it's been raining a lot
lately.

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem I think!

I planted three cascade (2 are 12" one just broke ground), one
centennial (just broke ground), and two sterling (one is 18" and
getting bigger daily, one hasn't done anything).

The two cascade plants have holes apparently eaten out of the center
of the leaves in slightly odd oval shapes.

If my brother gets his digital camera back from the friend he lent it
to, I could upload a few pictures if someone will host them to see if
we have the same problem and if somebody could suggest a solution.
This spring/summer has been very wet, and half the fruit trees/bushes
and hops I'm growing have one problem or another. The munched on
pattern on the hops seems really similar to the one afflicting the
nectarine trees. (And I know that isn't caused by japanese beetles...)
Old 30-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Mark Pruett

"mattoleriver" mattoleriver@(delete this)yahoo.com wrote in message ...
This site has pictures of some pests and diseases. Maybe there will be
something that you recognize.
http://www.usahops.org/english/pestdis.asp
George

I looked up the Flea beetles that were mentioned earlier, and the bugs
I saw sure look like those. Maybe it's a combination of those and
wild rabbits that are doing the damage. I kept them off the original
shoots by liberally sprinkling cayenne pepper around and on them, but
quit once they were decent sized. Maybe I need to keep it up for a
while longer?

Here's a picture of what the damage looked like:

http://photoshop.superdownloads.net/...s/IMG_1021.jpg

That leaf in the center is all chewed up by whatever this is.

(any white powder you see is the pyrethrin dust, not any fungus!)

So far, for the past few days, the pyrethrin dust seems to be working
pretty well- I think I'll stick with it for the time being until