Old 27-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Lil

Default sweet--not scotch broom--to plant or not to plant?

I just went out and checked the tag on the broom. It turns out that
it's cytisus spachianus. Is this plant invasive or can I leave it in
the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Lil

"Travis" wrote in message .. .
Lil wrote:
About a year ago, we picked up a scotch broom cheap at Target because
it's so pretty and smelled nice. The tag said it liked it moist so I
thought it would be ideal for the spot in the garden that gets pretty
wet during the winter.

While doing research on other plants, I discovered that Scotch broom
infestation is a major problem in certain parts of Northern
California, Oregon, British Columbia and even Australia.

So the question is, is it REALLY an invasive plant and is it SO bad
environmentally that I should yank it out?

Scotch broom is very invasive other brooms are not.

Old 28-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Lil

It's planted in the open, and the area around the plant is covered
with gravel above weedmat. I can't imagine the seeds will germinate
and grow on gravel....

What I was really worried about is the seed pods exploding and
releasing lots of seeds in the air since our yard is at the corner and
it's pretty windy where we live...

Lil

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message ...
(Lil) wrote:

I just went out and checked the tag on the broom. It turns out that
it's cytisus spachianus. Is this plant invasive or can I leave it in
the ground?

Do not plant where it would be difficult to remove seedlings.

[IMG] code is On

Scotch Broom & Spanish Broom removal tips Danny D.[_2_] Gardening 6 10-01-2013 11:40 AM
Scotch Broom Advice Caz6 United Kingdom 2 26-02-2010 05:19 PM
Sweet broom meanbeagle Gardening 1 12-04-2004 02:32 AM
Sweet Broom bush or shrub HELP! naturboy Gardening 0 15-08-2003 02:42 AM
scotch broom--to plant or not to plant? Lil Gardening 8 27-05-2003 03:08 AM