Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 AM
GardeningGuy

Default Germinating Seeds -- Need advice...

I need some advice on germinating seeds. I have a biodome that holds 60
cells with sponge material provided by the vendor. The sponges look like
dirt and have a hole for the seed already. I planted watermelon, corn,
and sunflowers. 9 seeds out of 26 of the watermelon have germinated.
Only 1 or 12 seeds have germinated for the corn and none of the
sunflower seeds have germinated. It has been 14 days since sowing.

My question is, are the yields for germinating usually this low? I
bought quality seeds (burpee). Also, I noticed a white webby funguslike
growing out of the holes in the corn seeds that have not germinated. Are
there any recommendations for germinating seeds? According to the
documentation, the sponges are designed to suck up just enough water and
I keep the dome closed so it is humid. Temp has stayed at around 85
degrees F.

Are there any other biodome owners that can give a description of how
they germinate their seeds?

Thanks for the help,

GardeningGuy

Old 27-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Play4aBuck

GardeningGuy wrote in message ...
I need some advice on germinating seeds. I have a biodome that holds 60
cells with sponge material provided by the vendor. The sponges look like
dirt and have a hole for the seed already. I planted watermelon, corn,
and sunflowers. 9 seeds out of 26 of the watermelon have germinated.
Only 1 or 12 seeds have germinated for the corn and none of the
sunflower seeds have germinated. It has been 14 days since sowing.

My question is, are the yields for germinating usually this low?

NO! Those seeds are some of the easiest to germinate. All of the seeds
should have started to grow by now.

I bought quality seeds (burpee). Also, I noticed a white webby funguslike
growing out of the holes in the corn seeds that have not germinated.

I'm not sure but you may have over watered them.

Are
there any recommendations for germinating seeds?

I have had great success with cucumbers, watermelon, and corn by using the
zip lock square bowls (but I'm sure you could use other things). First I
place a paper towel in the bottom of the bowl and then lay out the seeds.
Next I place a second layer of paper towel over the seeds. I water them
until the paper towels are soaked through but not anymore than that (very
little water). There should not be any standing water! Just a good see
through soaking. I place the covered bowls on top of my frig (warm spot)
and within the week I have seeds sprouting. I then transfer the seedlings
to dirt, covering most of the plant.

If you want to use your dome again, let it dry out and then start over, but
this time cover the cells with a paper towel, and don't over water.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

I don't know about the sunflowers yet, I just planted them 24-48 hours
ago, but the corn and pumpkin seeds were very easy. I have no
experience here, just learning everything I can. I took another's
recommendation and dropped the seed in room temperature water for 12
hours before planting. I planted them outside and covered them with a
row cover to prevent the local birds from eating them. The corn all
came up in 5-8 days. Pumpkin all burst through the top overnight a day
or so after the corn were done. I'm at 16 days and all the corn are
2-2.5" tall. At that's with two weeks of dreary weather in the
northeast.

I know my corn needed over 60 temps. Could 85 be too warm? or too
humid? I've read that as temps go too high or too low from the best
germinating temps for a seed the rates drop.

The overwatering is something I worry about, especially with the near
daily sprinkling-to-pouring rains we've been getting. Two of my big
containers have a greenish tinge to the dirt on top. It worries me. I
had to empty all the pot bottoms cause they are filled to the brim
with rainwater and more rain is expected.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 AM
GardeningGuy

Thanks Buck,

You were absolutely right. I tried it again with a small application of
water and 14 of 18 corn seed germinated.

GardeningGuy

Old 02-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Play4aBuck

GardeningGuy wrote in message ...
Thanks Buck,

You were absolutely right. I tried it again with a small application of
water and 14 of 18 corn seed germinated.

GardeningGuy

Your welcome, I'm glad it worked for you.

Cheers,
Jim