GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting sod (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29240-composting-sod.html)

GIJane 27-05-2003 01:32 PM

Composting sod

I have two good sized piles of sod.. not too many weeds in it, and am
composting it for next year's garden. They are not piled evenly as to allow
for some air. I put a healthy heaping of compost starter between layers and
a bag of lime since we have a lot of clay around here. Question: Does it
need leaves to complete the process or giving it till spring, it will
compost anyway? Thanks

SugarChile 29-05-2003 04:08 PM

Composting sod

I've composted sod that I stripped from beds before double digging them. I
just piled it up, with the grass side down, and let it be. By next spring I
had a lovely pile of very humusy topsoil. That's all there is too it!

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

NewsUser 29-05-2003 05:32 PM

Composting sod

I accumulated a big mound of sod last summer from digging beds. It was
pretty nice soil when I dug it up this spring. I didn't add anything like
compost starter to it, but I've got lots of worms and soil critters that
don't need much encouragement to get working on these things.

karen

Frogleg 31-05-2003 04:44 PM

Composting sod

"GIJane" wrote

I have two good sized piles of sod.. not too many weeds in it, and am
composting it for next year's garden. They are not piled evenly as to

allow
for some air. I put a healthy heaping of compost starter between layers

and
a bag of lime since we have a lot of clay around here. Question: Does it
need leaves to complete the process or giving it till spring, it will
compost anyway? Thanks

Is there some connection between lime and clay? I grew up in NM with a
universe's supply of pink alkaline clay, and am now in Virginia where
the clay is yellow and acid. Is there something magic about lime?
(It's recommended here for ammending acid soil, but I've never heard
of any particular application to clay.)