Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Jay Chan

Default How to Make a Lawn Mower into Mulching Mower?

I would like to know what makes a lawn mower into a mulching mower. Is
this as simple as removing the bag and let the grass clippings to fall
on the lawn? This is exactly what I have been doing for two years. But
I am not exactly sure if I am doing this right.

Actually, I have a feeling that I have been doing this wrong. The
reason is that the grass clippings are kind of long. I believe the
grass clippers are supposed to be much shorter if I used a mulching
mower. I am wondering what I can do to make my lawn mower to work
better for mulching. Is this as simple as replacing the stock blade
with a blade for mulching? Does the blade for mulching have a longer
cutting edge as compared with the stock blade? (My stock blade only
have 3" cutting edge in each end of the blade). Does the blade for
mulching have a different shape from a stock blade?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan
Old 27-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Nonya

You're right on...you "should" be able to replace the blade with a mulching
one. I know they exist, but not sure if you can get one for smaller push
mowers (I.E. 19" - 20") Just look for one that is the same diameter as the
one you have, and then make sure it says mulching on it.

Good luck,
Scott
om...

Old 27-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Beecrofter

Mulching blade has additional cutting edhe about 3/4" above the leadin
edge to shred the clippings. Machine usually has a closed or smaller
discharge.

Bring the mower with you to make sure the blade clears the mower deck
and try one.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
N_A_J

(Jay Chan) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I've posted similar questions to this NG. What I've come to realize is
that mulching blades and conversion kits for non-mulching mowers are,
for the most part, ineffective. Either purchase a mower designed
specifically for mulching, or bag your clippings. There is more to
mulching than changing a blade. Mulching mowers have deck designs that
help facilitate the mulching process. BTW, who the hell has time to
cut the grass 2x per week?

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Jay Chan

You're right on...you "should" be able to replace the blade with a mulching
one. I know they exist, but not sure if you can get one for smaller push
mowers (I.E. 19" - 20") Just look for one that is the same diameter as the
one you have, and then make sure it says mulching on it.

Great! My mower is one of those self-propelling model. I believe it
must be a standard size mower.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Jay Chan

You could mow more often. This will give the same effect as a mulching
blade. I have a reel style mower and don't bag. I cut my lawn 2x per week
this time of year and reduce as the growth slows and haven't had any
problems.

I try to mow my lawn once a week. I "think" this is good enough.

Unfortunately, we rain quite often this time of year. When I have
time, but the lawn is wet. When the lawn is dry, but I am too busy
with other things. Sometimes, my lawn grows much taller than I should
have left them to be.

Jay Chan
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Jay Chan

Mulching blade has additional cutting edhe about 3/4" above the leadin
edge to shred the clippings. Machine usually has a closed or smaller
discharge.

Bring the mower with you to make sure the blade clears the mower deck
and try one.

Thanks for telling me the characteristics of a blade for mulching.
Also, I will make sure the box says that it is for mulching before I
buy it.

Jay Chan