GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Split tree trunk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29319-split-tree-trunk.html)

bthache 27-05-2003 08:56 PM

Split tree trunk

Hi Group,

We noticed a few days ago that one of our jack pines has a vertical split in
it. It's at almost ground level upwards at least 3.5 feet and is now about
a 1/4" wide. Can anything be done to help this? Will it damage or kill the
tree? This tree is one of our smaller ones... maybe 8" in diameter. We
noticed also that the woodpeckers have been at this tree more than the one
beside it this winter.
Any ideas?
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

Sed5555 30-05-2003 04:09 PM

Split tree trunk

We noticed a few days ago that one of our jack pines has a vertical split in
it. It's at almost ground level upwards at least 3.5 feet and is now about
a 1/4" wide. Can anything be done to help this? Will it damage or kill the
tree? This tree is one of our smaller ones... maybe 8" in diameter. We
noticed also that the woodpeckers have been at this tree more than the one
beside it this winter.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a freeze crack. They occur during winter when the tree trunk is
exposed to sun, usually a south or west exposure. Left alone it will heal over.
Insects like to take shelter in such cracks and that is probably why the
woodpeckers are attracted to it.
sed5555