Old 27-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Berob

Default How Long Do Baby Birds Nest?

Not exactly a gardening question, but I'm hoping some of you know the
answer. I've got some baby birds in a nest up in the soffit of a utility
room that I'm renovating and insulating. I need them to be gone to finish
but don't want to disturb them. Any idea how long the babies will remain in
the nest being nurtured by the mother before they leave? Thank you for any
input.

Old 27-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Berob wrote:
Not exactly a gardening question, but I'm hoping some of you know the
answer. I've got some baby birds in a nest up in the soffit of a utility
room that I'm renovating and insulating. I need them to be gone to finish
but don't want to disturb them. Any idea how long the babies will remain in
the nest being nurtured by the mother before they leave? Thank you for any
input.

It's important to identify what species of bird it is before the
question can be answered properly.

-Geoff

Old 28-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Berob

I knew someone would ask me that, and the short answer is I don't know. A
reasonably small range of time would serve my purposes. If it helps you
give me an answer, assume its a Robin. Thanks.

Old 28-05-2003, 12:44 AM
jhultman

I concur. I've several sparrow nests, rather used to have, under
the awnings in several places. (until the friggin crows got to
the eggs/hatchlings).

The amount of insects nesting birds eat is a benefit and a reason
for hosting them. You should be able to peak inside and see what's
there. If the pair are active in the nest you'll know it by their
presence. Undisturbed hatchlings will squeak while being fed. Other
wise they're told by instinct to shut the heck up. A mirror might
help you check. Some time away from the nest for the parents to
teach life skills the young then they kick them out. And back
to laying a new brood if there's time and season.

Why can't humans be so exacting in raising young.

From: "Berob"
Date: Tue, May 27, 2003 7:00 PM

Berob wrote:
Not exactly a gardening question, but I'm hoping some of you know the
answer. I've got some baby birds in a nest up in the soffit of a utility
room that I'm renovating and insulating. I need them to be gone to

finish
but don't want to disturb them. Any idea how long the babies will remain

in
the nest being nurtured by the mother before they leave? Thank you for

any
input.

It's important to identify what species of bird it is before the
question can be answered properly.

-Geoff

OK then, ballpark: for small North American songbirds, figure on 4 weeks
between egg-laying and fledging of the young. Since your birds are already
hatched, figure two weeks maximum until they leave (almost mid-June). In some
species, the parents will start another brood in the same nest almost
immediately after the first brood fledges, so be aware of that.....

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 28-05-2003, 12:56 AM

contact a local wildlife rehab center ask em to come take a look, tell you how long.
Ingrid

"Berob" wrote:

Not exactly a gardening question, but I'm hoping some of you know the
answer. I've got some baby birds in a nest up in the soffit of a utility
room that I'm renovating and insulating. I need them to be gone to finish
but don't want to disturb them. Any idea how long the babies will remain in
the nest being nurtured by the mother before they leave? Thank you for any
input.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM
TakeThisOut

In article , "Berob"

From: "Berob"
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:00:12 GMT

I knew someone would ask me that, and the short answer is I don't know. A
reasonably small range of time would serve my purposes. If it helps you
give me an answer, assume its a Robin. Thanks.

17 years.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 28-05-2003, 08:44 AM
David Hill

I would think that they would be ready to leave in about 3 weeks.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Just wait for them to leave. There is no way to accurately tell you how long
without knowing what they are. Be mindful that, when they fledged they may
still return to the nest for safety will they have their "sea legs." It can be
anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for most birds. Can't you just wait a while and go
back and finish the work when they are totally gone?

If it were me, I couldn't bear to disturb a nest.

Victoria

Old 28-05-2003, 02:44 PM
NAearthMOM

If it were me, I couldn't bear to disturb a nest.

ditto.

did you hear the dalai lama will be here in September. Central PArk and
someplace else.We've got plenty of space here now
V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
NAearthMOM wrote:

did you hear the dalai lama will be here in September. Central PArk and
someplace else.We've got plenty of space here now
V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

The Dalai Lama visits my town every few years or so. He has a
nephew living here. Our town also has two Tibetan monasteries,
and two Tibetan restaurants, one of them owned by said nephew.

In fact, the Dalai Lama is coming to Bloomington on Sept. 7th
of this year: http://www.tibetancc.com/

Sucks to be me

-Geoff
Bloomington, IN
Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
NAearthMOM

Hi Janet. I met two girls on the train yesterday from Scotland. Our unusually
cold rainy spring has made them feel right at home here on Long Island!

Love caryn
I saw the Dalai Llama a few years ago when he visited Samye Ling ,a
Tibetan monastery in Scotlan

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
animaux

On Thu, 29 May 2003 22:22:18 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I saw the Dalai Llama a few years ago when he visited Samye Ling ,a
Tibetan monastery in Scotland (and he was supposed to come to our
next-door island Holy Isle this Saturday for the opening of the new
centre Samye Ling has built there; only he's not). His extraordinary
presence alone is worth going for; but his speech was a disappointment
because he spoke almost inaudibly through an interpreter who had a flat
expressionless voice and the only microphone.

Janet.
Isle of Arran

For some reason, I fully understand him. He does speak with a rather heavy
Tibetan tongue, and his interpreter is flat because the subject matter is rather
intense, with virtually no room for inflection.

I have a DVD set they made regarding the Four Noble Truths. I wish H.H. spoke
English all the way through, but he couldn't translate all the words into
English. There are many words which don't directly translate, so his
interpreter is absolutely brilliant how he finds ways to mirror the sentiment in
the speech.

I still may go, but we have to see what is happening then. I live a day at a
time.