Old 28-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Inyo

Default Wildflower Identification Needed

A few years ago I took the photograph of some wildflowers, uploaded to
http://salinevalley.topcities.com/wi...ldflowers.html ,on the
Mojave Desert, California, around Red Rock Canyon State Park, Kern
County. I was wondering if somebody might be able to identify them.
Any help would be most-appreciated, indeed.

My active email address is Waucoba at netscape.net

Fossil Plants At Aldrich Hill, Nevada
http://goldpoint.topcities.com/ah/aldrichhill.html

Looks to me like sand verbena

http://www.desertusa.com/may96/du_sand.html

http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/1354.htm

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 29-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Una Smith

Charles wrote:
Looks to me like sand verbena
http://www.desertusa.com/may96/du_sand.html
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/1354.htm

Not to me. Verbena is a genus which usually has opposite leaves;
Inyo's specimen appears to have alternate leaves. In Verbena the
leaves are typically thick, leathery, with petioles, and not at
all dissected; in Inyo's specimen they are thin, not leathery,
and highly dissected. In Verbena the flowers are in umbels;
Inyo's specimen has clusters of flowers but the clusters do not
appear to be umbels.

To me, the genus Phacelia (Hydrophyllaceae) is a better match.

Una Smith

Los Alamos National Laboratory, MS K-710, Los Alamos, NM 87545

My active email address is Waucoba at netscape.net

Fossil Plants At Aldrich Hill, Nevada
http://goldpoint.topcities.com/ah/aldrichhill.html

I just watched a 2 part documentary about Death Valley on Discovery.
That very plant was shown and identified. According to the program it
only blooms when there is rain on the valley floor, which don't happen
often. Have you tried the county extension office where Death Valley
is located? Or a Death Valley museum? I sorry I can't remember what
they said it was.

zhan