Old 28-05-2003, 12:56 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default ????Why won't Phlox bloom????

About five years ago, I planted what was labeled as being Garden Phlox. Every
year I swore that if it didn't bloom, it was history.
Well, this year I say goodbye to it.
Any ideas why it never bloomed

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
paghat

In article ,
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

About five years ago, I planted what was labeled as being Garden Phlox. Every
year I swore that if it didn't bloom, it was history. Well, this year I

say goodbye to it.
Any ideas why it never bloomed

Round here it'd still be too early to be sure it won't bloom as they start
in June & some even later. Maybe sooner for you in a warmer zone. In
reading the results of perennial trials there are always a percentage of
cultivars that never bloom, so sometimes it can't be helped. I have some
fairly care-free phloxes that never disappoint except the white one gets
floppy, & if anyone asked if phlox reliably blooms, I'd say sure does. But
here's what Ron Smith of the Horticultural Extension at North Dakota
State University said to do about a clump of phlox failing to bloom:

"Be sure it is getting plenty of sun--at least four to six hours of direct
sunlight. Then try fertilization once a month to maintain vigor and
bloom-ability through the growing season. If it doesn't show any flowers
next year, dump it and start over."

One other trick might've been to cut back all but maybe a half-dozen stems
so it wouldn't use up all its energy sustaining a thick clump. But as it's
already been five years, I'd do what Smith said to do, & what you've
finally suggested you're about to do, & just dump it.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
TOM KAN PA

Under what conditions was it planted?
____Reply Separator_____
Huh? It was given to us in the spring, in a container, with instructions to
plant in the usual well drained, partly/full/ sun. Like I said, it comes back
every spring, bigger and better than before, but it never gets any blooms!
Or, by under what conditions, do you want me to tell you that I took the plant,
a shovel, and a beer into the garden area, dug a hole into a spot specified by
the tag, planted the Phlox as instructed, and then drank the beer.
It's been five years and many beers later. The Phlox is still growing, I'm
still enjoying beer, but I've yet to see a bloom.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
GrampysGurl

Under what conditions was it planted?
____Reply Separator_____
Huh? It was given to us in the spring, in a container, with instructions to
plant in the usual well drained, partly/full/ sun.

Even though they say part shade, in my experience the phlox like full sun, I
have a native variety as well as Phlox davidii which is to die for. My davidii
has huge white flower heads and the scent is lovely, they get well over 4 foot
and never fail to take my breath away.... Phlox is one of my favorites and I
can't get enough of it, I buy a plant here and there to the tune of a couple a
year.
Colleen
zone 5 CT

Old 29-05-2003, 09:20 AM
gregpresley

Phlox can be particular. It would not flower for me at a house five blocks
from where I live now, but all my clumps at the current house flower very
well. My theory is that the soil needs to get some sun as well as the
leaves. My old house was on a north-facing slope, and although the leaves
received what should have been adequate sun, the soil at the base of the
plants was nearly always in shade. My current house's garden beds are level
or on a south-facing slopes. The phlox blooms from early July until frost.
"montana" wrote in message
In article ,
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Under what conditions was it planted?
____Reply Separator_____
Huh? It was given to us in the spring, in a container, with instructions

plant in the usual well drained, partly/full/ sun. Like I said, it comes

back
every spring, bigger and better than before, but it never gets any

blooms!
Or, by under what conditions, do you want me to tell you that I took the
plant,
a shovel, and a beer into the garden area, dug a hole into a spot

specified
by
the tag, planted the Phlox as instructed, and then drank the beer.
It's been five years and many beers later. The Phlox is still growing,

I'm
still enjoying beer, but I've yet to see a bloom.

That question wasn't worded very well, was it? I should have asked you
whether the phlox received full sun, partial sun or shade. The phlox in
my garden that lives in semi-shaded conditions blooms a little at best.
The phlox in full sun blooms like crazy.

Perhaps you can dig 'em up and move them to a sunnier spot, have some
beers & hope for the best?

Old 29-05-2003, 01:32 PM
DavesVideo

The phlox in full sun blooms like crazy.

This has been a wonderful year for phlox in West VA. They self seed quite well
and this year they are coming up everywhere and are now in full bloom. Even
lots of them just growing wild along the road. It has been a very wet spring,
but don't know if that is related.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 29-05-2003, 04:56 PM
GrampysGurl

and this year they are coming up everywhere and are now in full bloom. Even
lots of them just growing wild along the road. It has been a very wet spring,
but don't know if that is related.

Dave

I still have about a month or so till mine bloom, I so cannot wait )
Old 30-05-2003, 04:08 PM
gregpresley

I suspect you are talking about wood's phlox, phlox divaricata. I don't
think summer phlox (phlox paniculata) would be blooming yet anywhere north
of the deep South.
"DavesVideo" wrote in message
The phlox in full sun blooms like crazy.

This has been a wonderful year for phlox in West VA. They self seed quite

well
and this year they are coming up everywhere and are now in full bloom.

Even
lots of them just growing wild along the road. It has been a very wet

spring,
but don't know if that is related.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

[IMG] code is On

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Why won't my clethra bloom? JanB Gardening 1 05-09-2006 07:55 AM
Propagating Tall Phlox Dan D. Gardening 12 04-02-2004 01:32 AM
Summer Phlox Jeff Hancock Gardening 2 15-07-2003 01:22 PM
Fragrant Phlox... Chris S. Gardening 4 29-05-2003 08:56 PM