Old 28-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Ali

Default Digging bulbs early - can it be done, and how?

Hi,

I've got a bit of a situation. I'm moving in a month, perhaps less, and I
want to move a good bit of my garden with me, including all the tulips,
daffodils, hyacynthe, etc. I've got some ideas on how to go about it, but
I'm not certain.

I'm considering digging them, and placing them in paper bags in a cool place
and letting the greenery die back -- is this correct, or should I be doing
it differently?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ali

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Doug Kanter

"Ali" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a bit of a situation. I'm moving in a month, perhaps less, and I
want to move a good bit of my garden with me, including all the tulips,
daffodils, hyacynthe, etc. I've got some ideas on how to go about it, but
I'm not certain.

I'm considering digging them, and placing them in paper bags in a cool

place
and letting the greenery die back -- is this correct, or should I be doing
it differently?

Any help would be appreciated.

It can be done. It's best to get them into pots of soil so the foliage can
continue growing as it would if the bulbs were still in the ground. When
they turn brown and die back, then you can trim the dead stuff, and replant
the bulbs in their new, permanent home later. If you trim the foliage now,
your bulbs won't have as much food stored up for next year's show.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
SugarChile

You don't say where you live, but here in PA my hyacinth foliage is already
starting to brown at the edges; the daffs and tulips have a bit longer to
go, but they have been done blooming and busily storing energy for some
weeks now. If you haven't already done so, deadhead the flowers (trim them
off) so no energy goes into seed production. Then proceed with your plan of
digging and storing, waiting as long as possible to do it (yeah, I know,
when you're moving you've got a million details to tend to). You might want
to let the foliage dry in trays in the open, someplace with good air
circulation in the shade, for a few days before bagging them, to circumvent
mold problems.

You might not get a full floral display next year in your new place, but in
subsequent years you will. Good luck with the move.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Ali

Sorry about that. I'm in Massachusetts, so we still have some blooming going
on, though most of the daffodils and tulips are done.

We've got space in the back that we can dry the bulbs a bit before bagging
so I'll be sure to do that. I was also considering some wood shavings or
straw to help with keeping them dry and from touching each other in the
bags.

I'd love to be able to just repot them, but I'm already having to buy pots
because my store of empty pots in the garage is about gone for all the other
perenials. The expenses are really mounting.... I figured it was bad to cut
the greenery off early so the bag solution was the best I could come up with
my limited experience in moving plants and such out of their best times.

If nothing else, this moving of the garden is making moving the stuff in
house seem a breeze. ;-)

Thanks for the help,

Ali

thlink.net...