GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hydrangeas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29449-hydrangeas.html)

Reba 29-05-2003 05:20 AM

hydrangeas

I have many hydrangea macrophyllas. They are all pink. I've heard you
can change the color to blue by adding iron. I've added iron - no
blue. Any help appreciated.

Vox Humana 29-05-2003 05:20 AM

hydrangeas

"Reba" wrote in message
m...
I have many hydrangea macrophyllas. They are all pink. I've heard you
can change the color to blue by adding iron. I've added iron - no
blue. Any help appreciated.

http://www.oldhouseweb.net/gardening/Detailed/364.shtml

The color of some hydrangea can be changed by modifying the soil pH.
Hortensia hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla) will turn blue if the soil is on
the acid side. Fertilize yearly with an acid fertilizer according to
direction; modify the soil when planting with two (2) pounds of sulfur and
peat moss. A pH between 4.5 and 5.5 is desirable.

To turn flower pink to light red, the soil should be neutral to alkaline.
Use ground limestone ONLY around the plant if the color isn't pink. Pink
colors occur between 6.5 and 7.5.

At pH levels higher than 7.5, chlorotic leaves and poor growth results

Marley1372 29-05-2003 05:20 AM

hydrangeas

You can only alter the color of your hydrangeas if they are the varieties that
are SUPPOSED to be blue and are not. If it is a named variety that is supposed
to be pink, you arent going to be able to turn it blue. It will probably take
several years for this change to take place. The reason nothing has happened
is that Iron is not the factor affecting flower color, but pH is. You can add
all the iron you want to the soil but it dosent change the pH.

Toad