Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
gopackers

Default fruit tree protection - bee/lady beetle traps

Hello,

First time visitor. I'm looking forward to your helpful advice!

I live in Wisconsin and am looking to protect my fruit trees this year.

For the prior two seasons, most of my apples have been ruined by bees and
Japanese 'lady bug' beetles. They'll actually burrow into the apples eating
the insides completly out. I have the apples sprayed by a neighbor
landscaping handyman. Doesn't seem to do much good.

Late last season someone suggested milk jug traps. I tried them at the
season's end and they seemed to capture some of the culprits. These traps
are capped containers containing sugar-ed 7-up. Bugs enter through small
holes and can't get out. Curious if anyone else has heard of these traps
and if my recipe is correct.

Thanx for your comments!
gopackers

Old 29-05-2003, 03:08 PM

apples are very spray intensive to get unblemished apples. my mother would start
with a dormant oil in spring and most important, an insecticide right at petal fall,
then spray with a combination of insecticides and fungicides every 10 days until 2
weeks before harvest. the moth of the wire worms get into apples lay their eggs
right when petals are falling. spray too soon, kill the bees, spray too late, apples
are wormy.
an alternative is disease resistant apples but even then there is still going to be
spraying. My uncle would get the sprays needed from a local orchard.
there are various kinds of very fine oils that can be used instead of pesticides.
dont know how well they work. Ingrid

"gopackers" wrote:
I live in Wisconsin and am looking to protect my fruit trees this year.

For the prior two seasons, most of my apples have been ruined by bees and
Japanese 'lady bug' beetles. They'll actually burrow into the apples eating
the insides completly out. I have the apples sprayed by a neighbor
landscaping handyman. Doesn't seem to do much good.

Late last season someone suggested milk jug traps. I tried them at the
season's end and they seemed to capture some of the culprits. These traps
are capped containers containing sugar-ed 7-up. Bugs enter through small
holes and can't get out. Curious if anyone else has heard of these traps
and if my recipe is correct.

Thanx for your comments!
gopackers

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List