GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   poorly Ceanothus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29585-poorly-ceanothus.html)

proteus 29-05-2003 10:44 AM

poorly Ceanothus

Hello,

I wonder if anybody here can help. Last week I planted out a
Ceanothus. It is about two feet high, and it was in flower. Since then
the plant has gone into rapid decline! All its leaves are turning
yellow, and some have begun to fall off. Can anybody guess the cause?
Is there anything I can do?

Best,

P.

MLEBLANCA 30-05-2003 06:08 PM

poorly Ceanothus

In article ,
(proteus) writes:

I wonder if anybody here can help. Last week I planted out a
Ceanothus. It is about two feet high, and it was in flower. Since then
the plant has gone into rapid decline! All its leaves are turning
yellow, and some have begun to fall off. Can anybody guess the cause?
Is there anything I can do?

Best,

P.

It may be suffering from either too much water or poor drainage, or
both. Ceanothus does not like a lot of summer water, and are prone
to root diseases when given too much water. Let it dry out and do not
water it at all. If it doesn't perk up, you may have to move it to a small
raised area for better drainage, especially if your soil is heavy.
It will not tolerate a wet, soggy place in the winter.

Most ceanothus are California natives, where they grow on slopes
and receive no summer water whatsoever.

Does it get plenty of sun?
Do not give it any fertilizer.

They may seem very difficult, but actually, they like to be left alone;
most gardeners tend to love them to death with care. Those gorgeous
blue flowers are worth getting them established!
So just let it get itself settled.

Emilie
NorCal

proteus 31-05-2003 04:44 PM

poorly Ceanothus

snip

Thanks! Oops. I have watered it, and I fertilised it too... Oh well,
I'll pay it no attention at all from now on and hope for the best! At
least I'll know better if I have to start again!