GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29596-digging-up-perfectly-good-tulips-re-moving-tulips.html)

SugarChile 31-05-2003 10:20 PM

Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips)

"Frogleg" wrote in message
In fact, I don't see any particular reason not
to relocate at any time the foliage isn't showing and the ground isn't
too frozen to dig.

For me, the problem with digging and dividing in the fall is that the bulbs
start to put on root growth then, and it's difficult not to damage them.
You need to catch them in late summer/early fall before the roots start to
grow for best results.

cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Bill Oliver 01-06-2003 07:56 PM

Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips)

In article ,
Philip Edward Lewis wrote:
Wendy Chatley Green writes:
Tulips in central Georgia are annuals--people dig them up in
the fall, store them in the freezer, then replant them the next year

hmmm.. my tulips have done quite nicely as a
naturalizer.... (Pittsburgh PA, Zone 5/6 southern exposure, clay
soil)

We planted in fall of 98 and they come back year after year.

not sure why you dig them down in georgia... unless you mean georgia
in the former USSR... ;)

Maybe they need a more severe winter than they get in GA. Winter
in PA and winter in GA are pretty different.

billo