Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
zxcvbob

Default garden police gone wild?

animaux wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:33:56 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate, why is this any different than the "weed
police" everyone was ranting about yesterday?

I just can't see calling the cops to hassle someone over a deed
restriction. Even if the guy is an asshole. No, *especially* if he's an
asshole. It will just escalate, and he won't know when to stop.

Someone should have called the cops when he threatened folks with a gun.
But that's a criminal matter, not civil.

Best regards,
Bob

The police were called and it was their word against his and they didn't have a
witness. Some laws in Texas are pretty archaic.

As for escalating the situation...I don't mean to sound low classed, but there
are at least ten guys in here who would just love the opportunity to squash this
idiot like a bug. His junk heap and trailer and b-ball hoop that nobody ever
plays with are going to go. We have a lot of money invested in our homes and
his house is the first you see when you enter the gates.

I'd personally love to see him escalate. My husband is the most gentle of all
creatures and even HE said he'd squash that idiot like a bug. We called the
police to have it recorded so when we take him to court the court will clearly
see how tolerant of his heap we all were.

Victoria

But don't you see the irony of the message thread you posted this in? I
guess not.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 AM
montana

In article FztCa.45945$hd6.9249@fed1read05,
" wrote:

Why on earth does he hang dead deer from the basketball hoop? And why does
he get away with it?
Roz

Depending on where the deer was killed, it has to be "field dressed"
which means that it has to be gutted and bled as soon as possible. It
works a lot better with gravity on your side. I don't know if he can
hunt on his property, but that's one explanation.

Secondly, you have to skin and clean a deer before butchering. The best
way to make sure everything is ready is to hang the carcass. It makes
access easier. Since some people are squeamish about the whole venison
concept (it sure makes clear how meat "gets to the table") many people
hang the carcass inside the garage or work in the basement. This guy may
not feel like hauling a carcass around any more than is necessary. This
is all perfectly legal, since deer hunting is legal.

Now, this neighbor sounds horrible, but there were a couple of things
mentioned that are perfectly legal and, in some cultures, perfectly
acceptable.

Threatening people with a gun makes it obvious that there's something
fundamentally wrong with this person. But if he wants to eat venison, a
deer must be killed.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Ann

"Vox Humana" expounded:

I wouldn't want to look at a chain link
fence so I would be the one reporting the violation if I were the neighbor.
I find it interesting that your take on this is that the woman who reported
the violation is a "bitch" but your mother who broke the law is a victim.

I find it interesting that because you don't want to see something you
think it's all right to keep someone else from doing something to
their property.

I have said many times I wouldn't live in such an area. I don't need
neighbors controlling what I do to my land. When they pay my taxes
they can have their say.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Purchgdss

His junk heap and trailer and b-ball hoop that nobody ever
plays with are going to go. We have a lot of money invested in our homes and
his house is the first you see when you enter the gates.

No different than the "garden police".
sigh I'm so grateful I don't have a "neighborhood association"/home nazi's in
my subdivision. I purposely bought where I did *because* there isn't one.

I have a basketball hoop for my son who doesn't play with it much anymore, as
do my neighbors. Also have a swing set at the rear that was smashed by tree
branches in the ice storm. Haven't figured out how to remove the concrete set
pieces yet and being I'm a single mom, I don't have anyone to help me.

I'm sure there are more than a few violations of the home nazi's at my house.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Aaron Baugher

animaux writes:

Not only did he threaten people, his 11 year old daughter said
something which put red flags up on the whole block. She asked
another little girl if she ever had sex, or wanted to have sex.
These are 11 year old girls.

You realize, of course, that some schools start sex education in
kindergarten nowadays. That may not be the case in your area, but
it's drastically jumping to conclusions to think an 11-year-old got
such curiosity at home, no matter how weird her family is otherwise.
They're getting bombarded with it from all sides.

Come to think of it, when I was 11 years old, a school friend used to
pass around his mom's trashy romance novels -- the kind with fully
descriptive sex, not the tamer ones that stop at the bedroom door.
Luckily for their morals, most of the kids probably couldn't read yet.

--
Aaron

Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
animaux

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:01:13 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

But don't you see the irony of the message thread you posted this in? I
guess not.

Best regards,
Bob

I see the irony. Do you think I'm somehow less intelligent because I posted a
gripe and because sometimes it's necessary to be garden police? Hey, I could
care less if people have their lawn growing tall. That's not my point.
Fortunately, everyone who lives in my development take very good care of their
property. We have one neighbor we strongly dislike.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM

There is a big difference because Victoria bought into this suburb KNOWING about the
rules. Nothing hidden, everything was in black and white on paper. Signing on the
dotted line meant agreeing to the rules set out. Most of the rules concern what
goes on it the front and public areas around the house. Ingrid

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:01:13 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
But don't you see the irony of the message thread you posted this in? I
guess not.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

I wouldn't want to look at a chain link
fence so I would be the one reporting the violation if I were the

neighbor.
I find it interesting that your take on this is that the woman who

reported
the violation is a "bitch" but your mother who broke the law is a victim.

I find it interesting that because you don't want to see something you
think it's all right to keep someone else from doing something to
their property.

I have said many times I wouldn't live in such an area. I don't need
neighbors controlling what I do to my land. When they pay my taxes
they can have their say.

Let's back up a minute. I'm not the one who is prohibiting someone from
having a fence. In the case cited, it is a city ordinance that prohibits
the fence. The person who reports it, for what ever reason, is not the one
who determines whether the fence can stay of if it must go. Before I bought
my house I went to the county auditor's office and got a copy of the deed
restrictions. I bought the house with the understanding that there would be
architectural standards that included the prohibition of metal fences. If
someone moved in and put up a metal fence I wouldn't have any moral dilemma
about reporting the violation. I can't believe that people will spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house and not even bother to inquire
what restrictions might apply to that property. I could have taken my
chances and bought into a neighborhood where there were no restrictions.
Areas like that are plentifully. There is an older neighborhood across a
ravine from me with no restrictions. The houses are surrounded by chain
link fences, cars are parked on the lawns, every lot as at least one boat or
camper, one home owner decided that it would be more convenient to throw his
old storm door over the hill rather than put it out for the trash collector.
The real victim are the homeowners themselves because the property values
are suppressed when people let their neighborhood turn into a trash pit.

I also think that it is preposterous that one would assume that just because
they bought something and pay taxes that they have an entitlement to do what
they want. That would be like saying "I paid $40K for my car and pay
license fees (taxes) so I should be able to use it exactly as I want. To
hell with traffic laws."

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
animaux

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:22:14 -0400, montana wrote:
(...)

Now, this neighbor sounds horrible, but there were a couple of things
mentioned that are perfectly legal and, in some cultures, perfectly
acceptable.

Threatening people with a gun makes it obvious that there's something
fundamentally wrong with this person. But if he wants to eat venison, a
deer must be killed.

Thing is, he doesn't do the butchering. He hangs it there so his little man
complex can be soothed, then he hauls it off to the processor (who just as
easily hang it to age in the proper way).

Not only did he threaten people, his 11 year old daughter said something which
put red flags up on the whole block. She asked another little girl if she ever
had sex, or wanted to have sex. These are 11 year old girls. There were other
sexual innuendos. When the parents of the girl who heard this told the parents
my neighbors) about it, my neighbors threatened to sue.

They are a strange bunch. Not as nice as The Munsters, and much more vile than
The Bundy Family.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
animaux

On 02 Jun 2003 09:42:08 GMT, unya (Purchgdss) wrote:

No different than the "garden police".
sigh I'm so grateful I don't have a "neighborhood association"/home nazi's in
my subdivision. I purposely bought where I did *because* there isn't one.

I have a basketball hoop for my son who doesn't play with it much anymore, as
do my neighbors. Also have a swing set at the rear that was smashed by tree
branches in the ice storm. Haven't figured out how to remove the concrete set
pieces yet and being I'm a single mom, I don't have anyone to help me.

I'm sure there are more than a few violations of the home nazi's at my house.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Just to give you a clue: The Nazi's killed millions of people. Please use your
terminology correctly. We have no homeowners or neighborhood association.
There is nothing formal. However, the homes in here are not box houses made of
tin cans with cellophane windows.

The people in here signed on the line whereby they agreed to certain deed
restrictions and these can and will be enforced by a civil hearing.

I am not a conventional gardener. I have wildflowers everywhere in full death,
but I leave them so they set and ripen seed. My sidewalk strip has no turf, but
a hedge of Gaura lindheimerii and datura. I believe in orderly chaos as a
garden style. However, I respect those in here who signed on the dotted line to
maintain a nicely kept front yard. If that's too hard for you to understand,
I'm sorry.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

That's "You couldn't care less".

To say "You could care less" means you still care but you don't.

Oh, who cares?

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

It is awful that you have the "Manson family" living next door to you but if
the redneck keeps it up, he just may wind up in jail where he belongs. Its
not a case for the garden police. The man is sociopath just asking for a
showdown with the legal authorities. Just be sure to hit the floor when the
Feds show up at his house and the bullets start flying.

Of course, the implication is that he is a pediphile molesting his own
daughter besides all the other bizarre things the sick ******* does. The man
needs professional help.

Neighbors shouldn't threaten to sue, they should contact the proper
authorities so they can arrest the *******.

When he goes to jail, he can get all the sex he deserves. On the receiving
end, that is.

animaux wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:22:14 -0400, montana

(...)

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
paghat

In article ,
unya (Purchgdss) wrote:

His junk heap and trailer and b-ball hoop that nobody ever
plays with are going to go. We have a lot of money invested in our homes and
his house is the first you see when you enter the gates.

No different than the "garden police".
sigh I'm so grateful I don't have a "neighborhood association"/home

nazi's in
my subdivision. I purposely bought where I did *because* there isn't one.

I agree the attitude is entirely "neighbhood association nazi," a very
fine turn of phrase, & going off-the-deep-end even trying to ban someone's
basketball hoop seems like a satire on what it means to BE a neighborhood
associaton nazi. It's too bad the empowering the powerless results in such
abuses, but abuse of small power seems more often the rule than the
exception.

I wouldn't believe anyone on earth could be that churlish & moronic & get
neighborhood enforcement for their demented perspective on how a neighbor
should live, except a friend of mine bought into one of those
association-controlled hideous housing projects, wherein no one of human
value will ever fit in. She learned the hard way that when you sign away
your property rights to a random bunch of "N.A.N.s," you're gonna get
screwed. The Associaton had even banned planting trees in any of the
homes' back yards (which were enormous back yards). That Association had
seriously banned fences, trees, or gardens, & were die-hards about
enforcing the laws, & during Association meetings two or three crazy-ass
diseased ****s who'd lived there longest ruled the roost. Every home had a
half-acre or more of land out back, but they were banned from using it any
way -- except as a lawn maintained by the Association. This was simply so
the company they hired to mow it wouldn't have to mow around anything or
have any fences in the way.

Still, I had to ask her, why'd you move in that development in the first
place? She DID sign the stupid agreement that attempted to control every
tiny aspect of one's personal property use from what was permitted under a
car port to how tall the front yards' permissible shrubbery could be. The
reason she bought into it, she said, was she got a half-acre of land with
the house & it didn't cost a dime more than a similar house on a lot. But
after a couple years of realizing she wasn't ever going to be allowed to
use the land for anything, she bailed out & got another place without
crazy-ass home association nazis to contend with.

While in the city, there's an Coop Apartment complex with the same kind of
"Association" ruling it, & because it is not the government, they were
legally permitted to ban black people, asians, & women of childbearing
age, cuz they hated kids. I don't exaggerate, they even banned the use of
typewriters after ten o'clock -- deaf old feebs who listened to radios &
televisions at 80 decibals afraid someone might be rattling their
typewriters at midnight. I had a musician friend who lived in that
building; he completely soundproofed his place so he could play his piano
when he liked -- plus so he wouldn't have to listen to their rackety
televisions -- & the deaf old feebs STILL kvetched at him because rules
are rules even if they couldn't hear him.

To some extent, I figure if someone signs on for one of those appalling
communities, they'll have to live by the appalling rules -- like if you
sign a contract to pay $50 a month for five years until you own a small
brown dog turd, sure it wasn't worth it, but that was no secret when you
agreed to buy the pricy turd. Of course, when the N.A.N.s are capable of
continuously adding new stupid regulations which you never signed on for
at the beginning, it's kind of an endless injustice.

It's worse though when those same types of crazed loons take over an
entire town by getting on a ruling city counsel & begin to work on
bringing about their vision of the ideal community by use of Ordinances
and Fines.Their ideal would be evenly spaced rows of identical ticky-tacky
houses with concrete pads painted green for a yard, & a row of rocks
painted white for a hedge. They begin first by redefining meadows as fire
hazards & ornamental grass as places for vermin to hide & start fining
people who have an acre of land suited for wild pheasants & native birds,
demanding every square inch of meadow inside the town limits be slathered
in herbicides & turned into a dusty hell hole -- completely phobic against
nature. These are often people who regard everyone but themselves as of
suspicious character, & one nearby town passed an ordinance against art
lofts because they were convinced all artists are faggots & don't need any
artists moving to town. I watched them discussing this on Public Access
Town Counsil, & couldn't decide if the ordinance against faggots or the
ordinance against pet snakes was stupidest. They got their anti-artloft
rule, but the anti-pets rule was squelched this time. They'll keep trying
though.

These people are welcome to their ugly lives, but give them an ounce of
power, they do all they can to impose their ugly standards on the private
lives of others.

-paghat the ratgirl

I have a basketball hoop for my son who doesn't play with it much anymore, as
do my neighbors. Also have a swing set at the rear that was smashed by tree
branches in the ice storm. Haven't figured out how to remove the concrete set
pieces yet and being I'm a single mom, I don't have anyone to help me.

I'm sure there are more than a few violations of the home nazi's at my house.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 PM
animaux

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:45:38 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote:

It is awful that you have the "Manson family" living next door to you but if
the redneck keeps it up, he just may wind up in jail where he belongs. Its
not a case for the garden police. The man is sociopath just asking for a
showdown with the legal authorities. Just be sure to hit the floor when the
Feds show up at his house and the bullets start flying.

Thanks for the sympathy! He is a disgusting little man.

Of course, the implication is that he is a pediphile molesting his own
daughter besides all the other bizarre things the sick ******* does. The man
needs professional help.

I'm working on gathering any information. It's a pretty tight rope to walk when
dealing with children. I don't want to scare any of them, or put any of them in
dangers way, including his daughter. I'm afraid if I find out for sure he is
molesting her I will go balistic and bash his head in, myself.

Neighbors shouldn't threaten to sue, they should contact the proper
authorities so they can arrest the *******.

He threatened to sue. He sues everyone. Nobody talks to the igit.

When he goes to jail, he can get all the sex he deserves. On the receiving
end, that is.

One can only hope.