GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Droopy Jade (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/29956-droopy-jade.html)

StickMon 31-05-2003 07:44 PM

Droopy Jade

We moved to Southern CA from the Midwest 3 years ago. The house came
with several large (about 3') jades in various gardens. Some in direct
sun, some not. They have always done well and bloomed like mad in the
late Winter - early Spring.

Within the last month a few of them have started to droop and fall over.
We haven't done anything differently and there is no sign of disease.
The leaves are plump and green, but the stems are floppy. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cereoid-UR12yo 31-05-2003 08:32 PM

Droopy Jade

What haven't you done?

Have you watered them or fertilized them?

Has you area been sprayed with malathion for mosquitoes?

.. .

John T. Jarrett 31-05-2003 08:44 PM

Droopy Jade

Or, if they are the Jade I have, OVERwatered...I water mine once a week
only...maybe.

John
Austin, Tex

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
. ..
What haven't you done?

Have you watered them or fertilized them?

Has you area been sprayed with malathion for mosquitoes?

.. .

StickMon 31-05-2003 10:32 PM

Droopy Jade

John T. Jarrett wrote:
Or, if they are the Jade I have, OVERwatered...I water mine once a week
only...maybe.

John
Austin, Tex

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
. ..

What haven't you done?

Have you watered them or fertilized them?

Has you area been sprayed with malathion for mosquitoes?

Thanks for the response. I would tend to think they may be overwatered.
The sprinklers run for 15 minutes at 11:00 PM every night, a fairly
heavy mist near the bases, but they have for 3 years and this problem
has come on quite suddenly.

They don't spray for mosquitoes here. We are on the edge of the desert
so there is about one mosquito per square mile. I do use diazinon for
ants on occasion, but haven't in several months.

I think I'll try and carefully dial down the sprinklers a little, and
give them a little fertilizer. (And tie them up with some rope.)

Thanks again.

John T. Jarrett 31-05-2003 10:44 PM

Droopy Jade

I have some Hawaiian Leia (or however you spell it) plants (Plumeria sp.)
that also need watered only once a week. So, when I water the yard, I put an
empty plastic bag (2 cu. yd. mulch) over the pots they are in (it freezes
here so I have to keep them in pots to move in in the winter). That way, the
water goes on the yard (which needs it) and not in the Plumeria pots (which
don't).

Whatever you can do to dry them puppies out!

Watering them every day, I have a really hard time believing they lived this
long...must be a bit bigger than my 12" tall Jades!

Good luck,
John

"StickMon" wrote in message
. ..

Fred Garvin 01-06-2003 12:20 AM

Droopy Jade

On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:34:42 -0400, StickMon wrote:

We moved to Southern CA from the Midwest 3 years ago. The house came with
several large (about 3') jades in various gardens. Some in direct sun,
some not. They have always done well and bloomed like mad in the late
Winter - early Spring.

Within the last month a few of them have started to droop and fall over.
We haven't done anything differently and there is no sign of disease. The
leaves are plump and green, but the stems are floppy. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Overwatering it sounds like.

Cereoid-UR12yo 01-06-2003 12:56 AM

Droopy Jade

How so, Fred?

Did you hear a splashing sound?

StickMon 01-06-2003 06:08 AM

Droopy Jade

Cereoid-UR12yo wrote:
How so, Fred?

Did you hear a splashing sound?

Fred Garvin wrote in message

On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:34:42 -0400, StickMon wrote:

We moved to Southern CA from the Midwest 3 years ago. The house came

with

several large (about 3') jades in various gardens. Some in direct sun,
some not. They have always done well and bloomed like mad in the late
Winter - early Spring.

Within the last month a few of them have started to droop and fall over.
We haven't done anything differently and there is no sign of disease.

The

leaves are plump and green, but the stems are floppy. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Overwatering it sounds like.

Thanks to all. I can individually adjust the sprinkler heads, so I'll
dial them down tomorrow. Rain is not a usually a factor. We get about 6"
a year, but we got almost 3" in April, so that could have added to the
problem. (We got 4.5" of rain in all of 2002.)

[email protected] 01-06-2003 05:44 PM

Droopy Jade

feel at the base of the plants to see if they are soft. this is rot.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com