Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Nikkie Adams

Default Almost no leaves on Peach tree!!

We just moved into our new home. In the garden is a Peach tree, Apple Tree
and Pear Tree. The apple and pear tree have their leaves but the peach tree
has very few leaves. The leaves are mostly to the top of the tree. The tree
looks very stark like you would expect it to look in the fall. What could be
the problem? I don't know what kind of care this tree has gotten from the
previous owners. I do know that it had fruit last year, it clearly will not
have fruit this year being as it can't even grow leaves. What can I do?????
I really would like to keep/save this tree! The Apple tree and Pear tree
look fine. They are very leafy and full.
BTW what do I need to do to the apple and pear tree so we don't get bugs in
the fruit? I am really new to fruit trees so I am clueless! If someone could
recommend a good websit about taking care the these fruit trees I would
really appreciate the link! Thanks!!!

---

Old 02-06-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

"Nikkie Adams" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Two thoughts come to mind when a peach tree doesn't leaf out fully. My first
is that you've had extensive rain and the tree's roots have been standing in
soil that has been saturated for an extended period. I lost a peach and
nectarine tree when this happened last year in much the manner you
described. The second thought is that you might have borers that can also
kill peach trees unless controlled.

John

Old 02-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Nikkie Adams

I live in Portland OR. This year we have had a lot of rain! Well let me say
we had a very dry fall and winter and a very wet spring. That could be the
cause along with something else. For the past year the garden has been
largely ignored so I suspect possibly some disease. Someone from this list
suggested getting ahold of the County Extension Service to have it checked
out. I am not sure how to go about finding a County Extension Service being
as I've never heard of it before. Any ideas??

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM

in addition to wet feet and borers, peach trees need to be pruned.
that is a good book for care of back yard fruit trees
Ingrid

"Nikkie Adams" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/