Old 01-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Neil

Default Ideas for flowering shrubs

I'm building a very long hedge line and would like it
to be flowering throughout the warm weather. Right now the
early spring is covered by the forsythia, rhododendrons and azaleas.

I'd like some ideas for mid and late summer. Requirements a

1) Zone 5
2) Mature size should be 5+ feet
3) Will only get about 2 hours a day of full sun. The rest will be dappled
light
with a few hours of full shade.
4) Should like or tolerate acidic soil.
5) Would be nice if it wasn't deer candy.
6) Need not be everygreen, but should not die to the ground each winter.

The only thing I've come up with so far is maybe Rose of Sharon for the late
summer/early fall.

Neil

Old 05-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Irene

"Neil" wrote in message ...
I'm building a very long hedge line and would like it
to be flowering throughout the warm weather. Right now the
early spring is covered by the forsythia, rhododendrons and azaleas.

I'd like some ideas for mid and late summer. Requirements a

1) Zone 5
2) Mature size should be 5+ feet
3) Will only get about 2 hours a day of full sun. The rest will be dappled
light
with a few hours of full shade.
4) Should like or tolerate acidic soil.
5) Would be nice if it wasn't deer candy.
6) Need not be everygreen, but should not die to the ground each winter.

The only thing I've come up with so far is maybe Rose of Sharon for the late
summer/early fall.

Neil

Maybe some sort of hydrangea?

HTH,

Irene
Old 05-06-2003, 08:32 PM
SugarChile

Viburnums would be nice, and there's a lot of varieties to choose from.
Next you could have spireas. Not sure if Virginia sweetspire is hardy in
zone 5, but it flowers in mid to late summer when little else does. With
the Rose of Sharon, spend a few extra dollars and get named varieties. I'm
particularly fond of "Lucy" a pink double, and "Diana" a large pristine
white.

Even though your emphasis is on flowering shrubs, you should consider adding
a tall, narrow evergreen like arborvitae (again, go with a named variety)
every so many feet. It will give structure and balance to the informal
design, and give the eye something to rest on while sweeping down the line
of the hedge. In the winter, the evergreens add interest and keep the hedge
from looking too barren.

Cheers,
Sue