Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Neil

Default propagating Rose of Sharon

I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Neil

Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM
redclay

Neil wrote in message ...
I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it

can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Find a plant book in the library and read about cuttings. Let the blooms
stay on the bush so the seeds will form and just plant them next years,

Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM
cat daddy

"Neil" wrote in message ...
I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it

can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Yes. Keep it watered and it will grow.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Rose of Sharons grow around here in Chicago like a weed. I planted a
couple in my parkway garden. One winter they all dropped tons of seeds
and the next spring there were hundreds of little plants. After a few
years I got this.

http://brandylion.com/rose_of_sharon.jpg

For some reason only the purple flowers chose to come out that morning.
I used to grow wildflowers in that area.

The Rose of Sharons provide great cover, easy to maintain, and flower for
a long time at the end of summer. My originals came from my parents who
pull them like weeds out of their lawn every spring. They brought a few
transplants over and in a couple of years they filled almost the whole
parkway.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:56 AM
GrampysGurl

I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Neil

If it went to seed last year you should be seeing seedlings underneath. They
seed like mad here in Connecticut.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 AM
B & J

"Neil" wrote in message ...
I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it

can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Neil

If you're serious about cloning from a cutting, I'll be glad to send you my
method. I regularly clone double pink and mauve plants that our garden club
sells. BTW, starting plants from seeds does not guarantee that you'll get a
comparable plant or even the same color.

John

Old 02-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Neil

I'll have to look around, but i don't recall seeing anything growing around
the
base of the plant. Is it possible I have some sort of seedless variety?

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message

I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it

can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Neil

If it went to seed last year you should be seeing seedlings underneath.

They
seed like mad here in Connecticut.

[IMG] code is On

Propagating Rose of Sharon bobwhite Texas 2 30-06-2003 01:57 PM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM