Old 01-06-2003, 06:44 PM
MusicMax

Default Dianthus not growing

Hello all... I am in North Carolina and just started a perennial garden
(I'm a novice grower:-)). Planted about 8 varieties about 2 months ago
and have watered them regularly, plus we've gotten a lot of rain. Every
other week I water them with a Miracle Gro solution.

The soil is a mix of clay and compost, with landscape fabric over that and
cedar mulch on top. ALMOST everything (salvia, day lilies, gaillardia,
shasta daisy, echinacea, achillea) is growing gangbusters, but my dianthus
("Strawberry Parfait") are hardly any bigger than when they went in the
ground :-(. They've put out a few flowers, and they look healthy - no
brown or yellow leaves - just no growth.

Do they need some special treatment that they're not getting? They get
full morning sun and afternoon sun until about 4.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 12:35:14 -0400, MusicMax wrote:

Hello all... I am in North Carolina and just started a perennial garden
(I'm a novice grower:-)). Planted about 8 varieties about 2 months ago
and have watered them regularly, plus we've gotten a lot of rain. Every
other week I water them with a Miracle Gro solution.

The soil is a mix of clay and compost, with landscape fabric over that
and cedar mulch on top. ALMOST everything (salvia, day lilies,
gaillardia, shasta daisy, echinacea, achillea) is growing gangbusters,
but my dianthus ("Strawberry Parfait") are hardly any bigger than when
they went in the ground :-(. They've put out a few flowers, and they
look healthy - no brown or yellow leaves - just no growth.

Do they need some special treatment that they're not getting? They get
full morning sun and afternoon sun until about 4.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're doing the right things, has it been really cool there
lately? That might be slowing them down a bit. Mine a doing alright here in
Z6....

[IMG] code is On

Floppy Dianthus andrewpreece United Kingdom 1 29-03-2005 01:24 AM
Dianthus: bacterial wilt, virus or something else? szozu Gardening 2 04-08-2003 06:22 PM
Dianthus dkra Gardening 1 24-07-2003 09:02 AM
Dianthus - Collecting the Seeds Bunny McElwee Gardening 1 21-05-2003 10:44 PM
I need help with my Dianthus! Dave Gardening 2 19-04-2003 10:32 PM