Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 AM
TomM in NY

Default When to trim tulips and daffidols?

After they flower, when should these be trimmed to the ground?
Thanks in advance,
tom
Old 02-06-2003, 02:32 AM
SugarChile

Don't remove the foliage until it has turned brown. The bulb needs the
nutrients produced by the foliage in order to bloom well next year. You can
plant perennials around the bulbs to help disguise the waning foliage, or
you can just ignore it as you go about other garden tasks. Before you know
it, it will be high summer, the foliage will be brown, and spring will be
just a memory.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
julieandian lester

Another way of dealing with the appearance of the 'post-flowering phase' is
to pot your bulbs and 'plant' the pots. You can put 3-4 bulbs in a 4inch
pot. What you need to do first is to drill small (1/4 in) holes around the
pot up to the level of the bulbs. This will help to overcome competition for
nutrients. You only need to excavate about 4-6 inches, and you can use the
extra soil for a bit of extra height or store it for later. I put a light
mulch over the top to make sure the pots stay out of sight. After flowering
is over, you take out the pots and put them in some less conspicuous spot to
let the bulbs develop (a bit of liquid fertiliser is good at this stage),
and you can plant over the bare spot with summer flowers that you have
germinated ready to go. It is a good idea to have varieties in adjacent pots
that flower at similar times. I 'grow' my pots of daffodils in clumps of
3-5, and they look just as they would planted directly. Try it next autumn.
Cheers
Ian
thlink.net...

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Tegan

"julieandian lester" wrote in message ...
Another way of dealing with the appearance of the 'post-flowering phase' is
to pot your bulbs and 'plant' the pots. snip
Cheers
Ian
"SugarChile" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Don't remove the foliage until it has turned brown. sniip
Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
After they flower, when should these be trimmed to the ground?
Thanks in advance,
tom

One technique that I recently saw somewhere for making the leftover
foliage look tidier was to braid it. Never gonna happen in my yard,
but it's an idea.
Cheers,
Tegan