Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Chuck

Default Keeping grass seed moist...

How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:39:05 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Protect the seeded areas with straw to keep it moist. If the grass
sprouts, dries out, it will die. You could hire someone to water your
lawn every other day while you're away.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Chuck" wrote in message
How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days

after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It

seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It's VERY important. Real garden centers sell rolls of burlap, and this is a
great way to keep the seed moist. Seed the area, cover with burlap. (I'm
assuming you're seeding small patches, obviously). The burlap collects the
sun's heat, keeps the seed moist, and provides a barrier so clumsy watering
or heavy rain won't wash the seed away. Hang it up, rinse it, and let it dry
thoroughly, and it'll last quite a few years.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:07:26 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:39:05 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Protect the seeded areas with straw to keep it moist. If the grass
sprouts, dries out, it will die. You could hire someone to water your
lawn every other day while you're away.

Every day! Even twice a day, if it's very dry or windy. Straw mulch is
often added to protect the seed from birds, conserve moisture, and
prevent erosion and seed drift after planting. (Make sure it's
weed-free straw!)
Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

If it is only for patching purposes you could try mixing a batch of damp
soil with grass seed and place in a garbage bag and leave in the garage for
a few days and then spread on the area to be patched......my job for today
is to spread some that has just gertminated in a garbage bag......I have
about 2 cubic feet that has pregerminated and ready to go.......this is the
only way I do my lawn patching...saves that first few days of constant
watering....as said by others......if the seed ever dries out after having
been wetted down it is gonzo........HW.

Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 AM
ROBERT O'REILLY

"Chuck" wrote in message m...
How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days after
putting it out. I'd like to go ahead and get some seed out in the next
couple of days, but I am going to be away for a few days this weekend and
don't want to kill the grass before it even has a chance to sprout. It seems
to me that water is less important until the seeds actually germinate and
sprout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

you can get a timer at a garden center for about 20.00. i keep my
vegatable garden watered and fertilized with them. one set to run
every morning for a few minuites, one (fertilizer) set to run a few
minuites once a week on a soaker hose. i work out of town alot, and
have been growing a veggie garden(and herbs) like this with good
success.
just pick the leaves/weeds when i am home, fill the fertilizer jug,
and pull off the fruit when it is ripe.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Tegan

"Chuck" wrote in message . com...
What a wonderful idea, Harold!

"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message
If it is only for patching purposes you could try mixing a batch of damp
soil with grass seed and place in a garbage bag and leave in the garage

for
a few days and then spread on the area to be patched snip

..HW.
"Chuck" wrote in message
How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few days

after
putting it out. snip
Thanks!

I know that Milorganite is a controversial subject, but if it's a
product you consider using, adding it to this mix would be ideal - as
Milorganite has the virtue (whatever its detrimental qualities) of
being mild/non-burning enough to use with new seed. - FWIW.

Tegan

Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Tegan

"Chuck" wrote in message . com...
Yummy... Milwaukee sewage!

"Tegan" wrote in message
om...

. com...

"Chuck" wrote in message
How important is it to keep grass seed moist during the first few

days
after
putting it out. snip
Thanks!

I know that Milorganite is a controversial subject, but if it's a
product you consider using, adding it to this mix would be ideal - as
Milorganite has the virtue (whatever its detrimental qualities) of
being mild/non-burning enough to use with new seed. - FWIW.

Tegan

Well, the grass seed seems to think so.