Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Brian E. Clark

Default Remove 'bottom plate' from outdoor container?

My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With
the pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

Thanks,

Brian

--
-----------
Brian E. Clark

Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Brian E. Clark said:

My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With
the pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

I *never* use them on any of the containers I plant outside. You don't want the
plants to be sitting in water. And you don't want to create a reservoir for
mosquitoes to breed in.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Brian E. Clark" wrote in message
. ..
My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With
the pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

I'd say "it depends". If you were growing a plant that likes wet feet, I'd
leave the tray on. But, cucumbers are susceptible to a variety of
fungus/rotting illnesses, so I'd say remove the tray for those. And, try to
locate the pot in a spot where it gets more, rather than less air
circulation.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:28:13 -0400, Brian E. Clark wrote:

My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With the
pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

Thanks,

Brian

I'd remove it to reduce the chances of the plant getting root rot.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:28:13 -0400, Brian E. Clark wrote:

My wife is going to growing cucumbers in a container. It's a plastic
container with one of those integrated saucer-pan things attached to the
bottom, though the saucer can be popped off if necessary.

My question is: do we keep the pan on the bottom or take it off? With the
pan in place, about 1-1/2" inches of water sits in the pot.

6 of one; half-dozen of the other. Long-term sitting in water promotes
root-rot and disease; no water makes plants die. :-) I have some
(smaller) things in saucer-attached containers, and just tip and empty
them in wet conditions. For larger plantings (and I have no experience
in cucumber-tipping), I'd remove the saucer and water often.