GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What size pot for Morning Glories? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/30357-what-size-pot-morning-glories.html)

Mark Anderson 03-06-2003 07:08 PM

What size pot for Morning Glories?

I have a bunch of Morning Glory seedlings and need to transplant them to
bigger containers. Does anyone know what size container would be needed
for each one so that they grow out to be full size?

Tyra Trevellyn 03-06-2003 08:32 PM

What size pot for Morning Glories?

From: Mark Anderson
Date: Tue, Jun 3, 2003 1:01 PM
I have a bunch of Morning Glory seedlings and need to transplant them to

bigger containers. Does anyone know what size container would be needed

for each one so that they grow out to be full size?

I've grown 3 to 5 in a 12" diameter pot and they've done brilliantly. The only
thing is that you've ABSOLUTELY got to keep on top of the watering.....every
day if necessary, even more in hot dry weather when the plants are big and
leafy. You can also bury the pot in mulch which will help a bit. (My personal
feeling is that it's better to put a few together in a larger pot than to pot
them up individually in smaller pots, but if you want to do the latter, try it
in 8" pots.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b

Mark Anderson 04-06-2003 06:44 AM

What size pot for Morning Glories?

In article oway says...
I've grown 3 to 5 in a 12" diameter pot and they've done brilliantly. The only
thing is that you've ABSOLUTELY got to keep on top of the watering.....every
day if necessary, even more in hot dry weather when the plants are big and
leafy. You can also bury the pot in mulch which will help a bit. (My personal
feeling is that it's better to put a few together in a larger pot than to pot
them up individually in smaller pots, but if you want to do the latter, try it
in 8" pots.)

Thanks for the help. I just ran out of pots so I found some 12"x12"x12"
milk crates and with the help of some cardboard to cover the holes in the
sides, I have more containers. Based on your advise I'm thinking 2
morning glories and a chianti sunflower in each these containers.