Old 03-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Mike

Default dry laid patio - questions

I'm putting in a 100 sq. ft. dry laid patio of flagstones. I've priced the
sand I'll need (2 inch foundation, 1 inch fine sand bed) at c. $220 incl.
$50 to have it delivered by truck. My question is, do I absolutely need the
foundation and bedding sand? Can't I just dig a shallow bed c. 1 in deep,
level it, lay the stones, and then fill in the cracks with a single 50 lb
bag of sand? I don't care if weeds and grass grow in the cracks.

Mike

Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Mike wrote:

I'm putting in a 100 sq. ft. dry laid patio of flagstones. I've priced the
sand I'll need (2 inch foundation, 1 inch fine sand bed) at c. $220 incl.
$50 to have it delivered by truck. My question is, do I absolutely need the
foundation and bedding sand? Can't I just dig a shallow bed c. 1 in deep,
level it, lay the stones, and then fill in the cracks with a single 50 lb
bag of sand? I don't care if weeds and grass grow in the cracks.

I believe the base provides stability as the ground shifts over time. I
suspect with a 1 inch base, you're going to wind up with an uneven surface
within a few years.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:56 PM
SugarChile

Yes. You absolutely need the sand base. Even better, in my opinion, is
gravel dust, or stone dust, or crushed gravel, or whatever they call it in
your neck of the woods. I feel the rough edges of the gravel lock together
under compaction and don't shift around as much as sand. But you need a
porous base with good drainage so you don't get frost heaving. Even if you
live in a frost free area, it's very difficult to get the stones to lay flat
and even without a bed under them.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Mike" wrote:

I'm putting in a 100 sq. ft. dry laid patio of flagstones. I've priced the
sand I'll need (2 inch foundation, 1 inch fine sand bed) at c. $220 incl.
$50 to have it delivered by truck. My question is, do I absolutely need the
foundation and bedding sand?

It depends on where you live and your soil ... in a mild climate
with sandy soil, the excavete, level anfd fill the cracks method
works just fine. I have patios made that way that are 15+ years
old and still level.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

[IMG] code is On

dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 05:21 AM
dry laid patio - question Mike United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 10:19 AM
dry laid patio - question Mike United Kingdom 1 03-06-2003 09:44 PM
Laid New grass ...... When do i do my first cut ? descds United Kingdom 0 01-05-2003 09:20 AM