GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hinoki cypress companions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/30503-hinoki-cypress-companions.html)

Jack 04-06-2003 08:08 PM

Hinoki cypress companions

Hello all,
I have a hinoki cypress crippsi in my yard (zone 5a) I would like to get
some companion plants. Any ideas?? I was thinking of putting something
really dark green behind it, with a different texture, but taller.

I am not good at design, so any advice would be helpful.
Thank you.

antonious 05-06-2003 09:44 PM

Hinoki cypress companions

Well... are you looking for another evergreen or something deciduous?? would
you like flowering companions or just foliage?

Pam 06-06-2003 02:20 AM

Hinoki cypress companions

Jack wrote:

Hello all,
I have a hinoki cypress crippsi in my yard (zone 5a) I would like to get
some companion plants. Any ideas?? I was thinking of putting something
really dark green behind it, with a different texture, but taller.

I am not good at design, so any advice would be helpful.
Thank you.

Hinokis look good with pretty much anything. My collection is mostly planted
in and amongst other shrubs and perennials in a mixed border. For contrast in
color and texture, you could combine with other dwarf conifers. Another Hinoki
cultivar with deep green foliage like Filicoides or Kosterii would work, as
would dwarf pines or nest spruce. Or a Japanese holly or columnar yew for
something taller. Or any other broadlleaved evergreen shrub hardy for your
area.

pam - gardengal