Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
SBHCOM

Default Free Stepping Stones

Here is a way to get beautiful granite and marble stepping stones for free! My
sister is building a new house and is putting in granite counter tops, I went
with her to the granite fabricator and saw he had a bunch of oval shaped pieces
of granite that someone was throwing in the dumpster. I asked if I could have
some and he said take them all These are the cut out pieces of where the sinks
go. They come in all sorts of colors are the perfect size and are extremely
durable. I am sure if you do a search of stone or marble and granite
fabricators in your area you'll be able to find a place that will let you have
these throwaways!!

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Babberney

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:03:14 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

"Babberney" wrote in message
On 06 Jun 2003 18:36:59 GMT, (SBHCOM) wrote:

[...]

I've seen this done, and don't recommend it. When the glossy granite
gets wet, it's like walking on ice. I'd rather clean off the mud.

Why not use it glossy-side down?
-Adam

Intriguing idea, but if that's possible I don't know why it wasn't
done where I saw this. Presumably there is a 'b' side, though, and
then it might work well. Maybe the people who used this idea here
never go outside when it's wet . . . .

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Old 09-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Valkyrie wrote:

"Babberney" wrote in message

I've seen this done, and don't recommend it. When the glossy granite
gets wet, it's like walking on ice. I'd rather clean off the mud.

BEWARE of slate for the same reason. Slate after all is about one click
beyond oil , if it gets wet it can be very SLICK!!

Soapstone is an interesting surface which actually becomes less slippery when
wet. But I'd rather have it inside the house than outside. Assuming I could
afford it.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Thalocean2

We have a lot of sandstone quarries around here so it's cheap. Never gets
slick either. It comes in lots of different colors and is easy to shape with a
hammer.

Laura B.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
~consul

Babberney wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:03:14 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
I've seen this done, and don't recommend it. When the glossy granite
gets wet, it's like walking on ice. I'd rather clean off the mud.

Why not use it glossy-side down?

Intriguing idea, but if that's possible I don't know why it wasn't done where I saw this. Presumably there is a 'b' side, though, and then it might work well.

Possible you can score it as well?
--
R.I.P. Gregory Peck, June 12th, 2003. He showed me the father and the man I strive to be,
on-screen and off. [[Reverend Sykes: "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'."

Old 17-06-2003, 06:56 AM
jrstark

~consul wrote:
Babberney wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:03:14 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"

I've seen this done, and don't recommend it. When the glossy granite
gets wet, it's like walking on ice. I'd rather clean off the mud.

Why not use it glossy-side down?

Intriguing idea, but if that's possible I don't know why it wasn't
done where I saw this. Presumably there is a 'b' side, though, and
then it might work well.

Possible you can score it as well?

I called a local granite countertop place. They said they do have the
sink cutouts, but don't recommend them for stepping stones, just
decoration. The shiny side can be slippery, and the unfinished side has
no color.

I'm still looking for stepping stones, found a couple of quarry places I
need to call. The other option is broken-up sidewalk concrete, but not
sure if I can get that thin enough.

Janine

Old 21-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Other Brother Kevin

jrstark wrote:

~consul wrote:

Babberney wrote:

[...]

I was talking with an electrician friend of mine at dinner last night
and he mentioned he was working at a place that made granite corner
tops. At that point the conversation when about like this,

"Do they cut out the sinks?"

"Yes"

"What do they do with the pieces they cut out?"

"There's a pile of them out back"

"Where, IS this place?"

"It's on %**&^ Road, do you want go tomorrow and check it out?"

"YES!!!!!!"

"I'll give you a call"

He's having his yard done even as I type, I on the other hand won't be
until next year. I just want a couple for my Scary Sharping.

Kevin

--
¨

Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 PM
David J Bockman

If you're really motivated, you can rent a blowtorch and torch the polished
side. As the rock heats up, fledspars and other minerals in the granite
crystallize and 'pop', creating grit and traction.

Dave

"Other Brother Kevin" wrote in message