Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Ablang

Default Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

"We lie. We cheat. We steal."
-- WWE wrestler, Eddie Guerrero

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Lilacs are not the same as Impatiens.

Lilacs are shrubs.

Various species of Impatiens are annuals, biennials or perennials.

The commonly grown Impatiens cultivars are tender perennials that bloom the
first year from seed and are grown as annuals.

If you don't water Impatiens, they will quickly wilt and die, you silly
goose.

If watering the plants is too much a chore for you, why not grow cactus
instead?

Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 21:42:10 -0400, Ablang wrote:

Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

They are 2 different plants and not the same.

Lilacs are shrubs, impatiens are annuals.

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season),
what is the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your
time?

Because you like the plants and find them attractive to look at?
Works for me anyway.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam

Ablang wrote:

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year, despite
the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for things that will
die no matter what I do to them.

It is in the nature of many plants to complete their life cycle within one full
growing season. Fortunately, these are plants which tend to offer extended
blooming and season-long color or are the mainstay of our vegetable diet.
Generally, most folks don't consider annual plants to be a waste of time because
they offer so much in return for minimal effort and expense - it is what we call
"gardening". Heck - some folks even do it for a living - they are what we call
"farmers".

If you can't buy into this very natural process, take up another hobby that
doesn't involve living organisms.

pam - gardengal

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Penny Morgan

Impatiens are annuals in most regions, but they self seed and grow new
plants each season. Annuals are very popular because they give a larger
burst of color and usually last much longer through the season than
perennials. I'm not knocking perennials (I have many perennials in my
garden), but annuals give you a much better selection of colors and you can
fill in bare spots in perennial beds with beautiful color. They are also
much less expensive. The perfect garden starts with perennials in groupings
and then gets filled in with annuals to enhance them.

I live in a region where flowers grow year round. Annuals play a very big
role in that. In spring, we have hundreds of colors and textures to use in
our gardens. In fall, we use pansies (hundreds of colors), kale, ornamental
cabbage, grasses. We plant the spring flowers in mid April and they last
until mid October (6 months). At that time, you plant pansies and enjoy
them through the winter until April again. Perennials will bloom for a
period of time (early spring, mid spring, summer, or fall), but will usually
taper off in blooms. Also, many perennials die back in winter to the ground
(the plant looks dead) and then re-emerge in spring or summer. You have to
wait until their bloom time to enjoy them again. Annuals are what I call
instant gratification in color.

Hope this explains why people enjoy annuals as much as perennials.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Adam Schwartz

"Ablang" wrote in message
Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what

is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

"We lie. We cheat. We steal."
-- WWE wrestler, Eddie Guerrero

I believe there is a veriety of impatiens called lilac becaue it has
lilac-colored flowers.
Many people find the activity of gardening to be fun and rewarding (myself
included). Not to sound too nihilistic, but eventually everything we do
will be destroyed, so by your philosophy, why do anything at all?

-Adam

Old 08-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Article 31a of the International Code of Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants
prohibits using the botanical or common name of a genus or the common name
of a species for a cultivar name because it would lead to confusion.
Therefore, you believe incorrectly. Ablang is just playing with your little
head, Peewee.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 PM
limey

"Ablang" wrote in message
Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what

is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

"We lie. We cheat. We steal."
-- WWE wrestler, Eddie Guerrero

I suggest spreading concrete over your yard and that way you won't have to
waste your time at all. Perhaps that will give you the same pleasure that
we enjoy from growing things?

Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 PM
David Hill

".....What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year
............."
I was always under the impression that the aim of growing Veg was for them
to be eaten, and not saved as ornamental objects.

This has to be a wind up.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Susiemw

(I have many perennials in my
garden), but annuals give you a much better selection of colors and you can
fill in bare spots in perennial beds with beautiful color. They are also
much less expensive.

I also use both annuals and perennials. I think there is a great place for
both.

I disagree with your statement that annuals are much less expensive than
perennials.

It may be different where you are but here in the midwest, I haven't found the
perennials to cost any more for the initial purchase than annuals and you only
have to buy them once.
Annuals have to be purchased year after year after year... so the perennials
end up saving you lots of money with their one time purchase price.

Susan

Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim W

Ablang wrote:

Are lilacs (impatiens) annuals or perennials?

Lilacs are Syringa,.. not Impatiens.. The former are annual or perrenial
depending on climate;-) In the UK they are ususally used as annual
outside, or may be grown as perrenial inside (depending on type)

Also, if an annual is not supposed to last more than 1 year (season), what is
the point of planting and watering them if you are wasting your time?

Hmm either a troll or a very very newbie!

Points.. You get a crop in 1 season with quite a few things,.. barely a
waste of time.. I suppose eating all the tomotoes, cucumbers, peppers,
and summer fruits is a waste of time too;-)
//

Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

I would say he is definitely a troll based on the wacky statements made in
his other postings.

Jim W wrote in message
news:1fw9b4t.1yjqa81dihji8N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...