Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
John

Default Can anyone identify these flowers?

I took these pictures of some flowers in my garden; a friend thinks
she knows some of them. Could anyone confirm the ones identified and
identify the remaining ones?
Could you email me at ?
http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ejgowland/flowers.htm

Thank you.

John
Old 08-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Penny Morgan

The first flower page looked like some type of cacti flower. I could see a
little bit of leaves that looked like they were thick and rubbery, almost
like a type of sedum. The second page on top were definitely Gazanias.
They come in a variety of colors and do wonderfully in hot sun. I grew a
bunch of them in my perennial bed (even though they are annuals in our zone
7b).

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
om...

Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Crassula ovata, the so called "Jade Plant".

Note the flowers have the same number of carpels (fruit) stamens and petals.

********************

Gazania and lavender.

The "Snow Flower" is some sort of mustard. Not enough to go on. Need to see
whole plant.

om...

Old 08-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Some type of cacti flower? Are you out of your freaking mind? Have you ever
seen a cactus? Cactaceae are stem succulents and the plant in the picture
obviously is not. The flower is completely wrong for the Cactaceae.

The plant is a leaf succulent and obviously Crassulaceous.

Its the extremely common "Jade Plant", Crassula ovata, in flower.

Penny Morgan wrote in message
om...
The first flower page looked like some type of cacti flower. I could see

little bit of leaves that looked like they were thick and rubbery, almost
like a type of sedum. The second page on top were definitely Gazanias.
They come in a variety of colors and do wonderfully in hot sun. I grew a
bunch of them in my perennial bed (even though they are annuals in our

zone
7b).

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
om...

Old 09-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

You are really a lot of help, you loony toon.

You probably wouldn't know a "Jade Plant" if it hit you upside your head.

wrote in message
Hi John,

sorry i can't help you but i did enjoy looking at the pictures. they were
great!

loony

om...

Old 09-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Frogleg

"John" wrote

I took these pictures of some flowers in my garden; a friend thinks
she knows some of them. Could anyone confirm the ones identified and
identify the remaining ones?
Could you email me at ?
http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ejgowland/flowers.htm

If Cereoid says it's jade plant, it's probably jade plant. I'd never
seen one bloom before.

Lovely flower pics.

Q: Why did you request e-mail? I generally make some comment about
newsgroups being for the benefit of all, and requesting e-mail a
little rude, but I'm interested in why people make that specification.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

The flower is a textbook example of a Crassula blossom, literally.

There is absolutely no doubt that the plant is Crassula ovata, the so-celled
"Jade Plant".

Have seen many of them in bloom, including the flowers of other Crassula
species.

"John" wrote

Old 10-06-2003, 03:32 AM

jade. it took 25 years for mine to bloom the first time, but now it is every year ..
and inside. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 PM
John Gowland

Thank you for your help, every one. I have acknowledged your help at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jgowland/flowers.htm

I have still not identified what I thought was "snow flowers" on the second
page. Any suggestions?
I asked to email me because I found the you via http://groups.google.com and
was not sure I could find the group again. I did not to be rude. rec.garden
is on my isp newsgroup list and I have subscribed.

John

"John" wrote

Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:00:59 +0800, "John Gowland"
wrote:

Thank you for your help, every one. I have acknowledged your help at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jgowland/flowers.htm

I have still not identified what I thought was "snow flowers" on the second
page. Any suggestions?
I asked to email me because I found the you via http://groups.google.com and
was not sure I could find the group again. I did not to be rude. rec.garden
is on my isp newsgroup list and I have subscribed.

Thank you, John. It often appears that "e-mail me" posters don't want
to bother to check back in the group to find answers. Your reasoning
makes sense, and I'm glad you are able to subscribe without a lot of
hassle.

Wish I could help about "snowflowers," but am delighted to have seen
such nifty pictrures of a blooming jade plant. And your genteel
presentation.