GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blue Fescue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/31127-blue-fescue.html)

[email protected] 09-06-2003 06:32 AM

Blue Fescue

Why does Blue Fescue lose its lovely blue-green color after it has
been in the ground for a while?

I use quite a bit of it for edging & borders. When I put in a couple
of new plants the other day, it was really striking how beautiful the
new ones were, by contrast with the washed-out looking
established plants.

I'm in Zone 24, if that's a factor.

--

Persephone

Phisherman 09-06-2003 04:44 PM

Blue Fescue

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:26:42 GMT, wrote:

Why does Blue Fescue lose its lovely blue-green color after it has
been in the ground for a while?

I use quite a bit of it for edging & borders. When I put in a couple
of new plants the other day, it was really striking how beautiful the
new ones were, by contrast with the washed-out looking
established plants.

I'm in Zone 24, if that's a factor.

Not enough fertilizer will cause a loss in color. Also, there are
fungus and insects that can cause discoloration, but these is usually
in spots or blotch marks on the grass. You can safely give your blue
fescue fish emulsion or a thin layer of composted cow manure to
provide some nitrogen. Miracle Grow will do the same but better to
avoid if your plants are having problems. Blue fescue needs frequent
weeding.