Old 09-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Mike

Default Burgess Propane Fogger

Im looking into getting one of the Burgess Foggers from Home Depot.
I plan on using it near a lake, and around some flower beds. There are also
a lot of birds, squirrels, and a few cats around.
My primary concern would be the hazard to myself while fogging. Quite often
the wind is blowing off the lake, but is usually calm in the early mornings
and at night.
The Burgess unit comes with a .2% Resmethrin insecticide solution which is
oil based from what i have read.
From what i have read about Resmethrin at the two sites below it seems
somewhat safe to use, but as the one site shows it can be harmful to fish.
But that site also shows it being used in a much higher concentration.

http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...ids/resmethrin
..htm

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/pest/scourge.htm

My other concerns would be to the pets and wildlife in the area, and lastly
to the flower beds.
Anyone using this under similar conditions? Any precautions or other
insecticides that might be less harmful?
All comments welcomed.

Old 09-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Mike

Well looks like Home Depot also carries a 1 Gallon container of a Pyrethin
based insecticide which appears to be the preferable stronger? pesticide to
use.
I haven't actually seen the unit at Home Depot yet, and was assuming that it
came with the Resmethrin insecticide based on what i saw at an online
retailer. It may come with the Pyrethin quart container.
The 1 Gallon container is also sold by Burgess. Anyone use this before?

"Mike" wrote in message
Im looking into getting one of the Burgess Foggers from Home Depot.
I plan on using it near a lake, and around some flower beds. There are

also
a lot of birds, squirrels, and a few cats around.
My primary concern would be the hazard to myself while fogging. Quite

often
the wind is blowing off the lake, but is usually calm in the early

mornings
and at night.
The Burgess unit comes with a .2% Resmethrin insecticide solution which is
oil based from what i have read.
From what i have read about Resmethrin at the two sites below it seems

Old 09-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Bruce Yates

I have used the pyrethrin for about 20 years in my Burgess fogger.
Works great. Used to take it camping with me and was the hero at the
adjoining campsites. You will have to do it every hour or so if in a
wooded area. As far as fish...you will be spraying it into the
air...not the water so I can't see such small amounts having any
effect. Don't spray into the wind.

As far as vegetables and plants, I have fogged my garden plants many
times when big infestations occur to keep from having to use chemicals
such as malathion. Pyrethrin is basically Raid.

If you are going to be using it around your home or campsites, fog the
shrubs and bushes in late afternoon before dusk and you will get a lot
of the mosquitoes before they come out at dusk.

"Mike" wrote in message
Im looking into getting one of the Burgess Foggers from Home Depot.
I plan on using it near a lake, and around some flower beds. There are

also
a lot of birds, squirrels, and a few cats around.
My primary concern would be the hazard to myself while fogging. Quite

often
the wind is blowing off the lake, but is usually calm in the early

mornings
and at night.
The Burgess unit comes with a .2% Resmethrin insecticide solution which is
oil based from what i have read.
From what i have read about Resmethrin at the two sites below it seems

Old 09-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Doug Kanter

1) What are you trying to kill with this thing? If the answer is
"mosquitoes", consider installing a bat house, like a bird house, but for
bats. I have a friend who did this because of mosquito problems around his
pond. It took 2 months for bats to find the structure, but once they did,
the difference in livability around the pond was amazing.

2) Here's a good link to read:
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles.../resmethrin-ex
t.html
"residues were low in hens sacrificed 12 hours after the treatment, with the
highest levels found in the liver and kidneys". If this were the only
chemical you were exposed to on a daily basis, it might not matter much.
But, it's not the only chemical you're exposed to. As your liver.

3) According to chemical manufacturers, studies on animals are not valid
indications of a chemical's effect on humans . Since there never will be a
valid (large) study done on humans (unless the entire population of a prison
volunteers for such punishment), nobody will ever know the true effect of
pesicides on people.

4) Conclusion: You are the guinea pig for the chemicals you buy.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:32 AM

yes. harmful to fish in low concentrations. Ingrid

"Mike" wrote:
The Burgess unit comes with a .2% Resmethrin insecticide solution which is
oil based from what i have read.
From what i have read about Resmethrin at the two sites below it seems
somewhat safe to use, but as the one site shows it can be harmful to fish.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Mike

I stopped by Home Depot yesterday, and looked over the Burgess Fogger. After
reading the precautions, and walking around the store looking for a
respirator i suddenly realized that this just wasn't a solution i could live
with.
Between the precautions of using near water, not having pets in the area
during and shortly after fogging, and not applying when its windy, i had to
pass on this idea.
I was planning on fogging my beach area, which the cats like to use as a
litter box from time to time, and you cant get much closer to the water than
that. There is almost always a slight wind blowing off the lake, and i can
only imagine the look on my neighbors, and the lake association gestapo's
faces when they see me out there with a respirator on.
Funny the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell me one of the Mosquito
Magnets for $400+, and said they worked great. I told him i had looked into
them, and hadnt heard much good about them. He continued with his praise of
the unit, and then i noticed three retaped Mosquito Magnet cartons a few
feet away.
Oh well back to using bug spray, and citronella. May try the bat house
thing, but every time we have sat next to the fireplace on the beach, there
are already a few bats swooping around. Some people get a little spooked
when they get close enough, so having a whole colony of them might not be a
good idea either.
Thanks for the replys.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Doug Kanter

"Mike" wrote in message
I stopped by Home Depot yesterday, and looked over the Burgess Fogger.

After
reading the precautions, and walking around the store looking for a
respirator i suddenly realized that this just wasn't a solution i could

live
with.

Great decision. I hereby offer you a virtual beer. Further advice:

1) Find an Avon dealer and buy some Skin-So-Soft as a bug repellent. It
works pretty darn good, and is safer than smearing DEET on kids. (But, DEET
works almost as well if smeared on hats, shoes, etc., instead of skin).

2) Bat house: After two beers, your queasy guests won't give a damn about
the bats. Tell them to flatten their loungers, look up at the sky, and enjoy
the show. Besides, the bats are around the place anyway, and these people
still show up, right?

Old 10-06-2003, 03:44 PM

deet is the only thing works as long as people are typically outside. and it sure
DOES work by spraying it on clothes. my face is sensitive to lots of things, but I
spray my hat with deet, spray a shirt with it and I am fine outside in pretty bad
flocks of mosquitoes. Ingrid
:
1) Find an Avon dealer and buy some Skin-So-Soft as a bug repellent. It
works pretty darn good, and is safer than smearing DEET on kids. (But, DEET
works almost as well if smeared on hats, shoes, etc., instead of skin).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
and I have heard they work very well. Ingrid

So do bullets, when dealing with stray dogs, but the hassle afterwards isn't
worth it. Much like pesticides.

"Mike" wrote:
Funny the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell me one of the Mosquito
Magnets for $400+, and said they worked great. I told him i had looked

into
them, and hadnt heard much good about them. He continued with his praise

of
the unit, and then i noticed three retaped Mosquito Magnet cartons a few
feet away.

After observing the 30 people at my company's home office for the past 10
years, and noticing that they discard all instruction manuals from any piece
of equipment they buy, I believe I've found a trend: People don't read much
about the things they buy, either before or after the purchase. I suspect
the taped, returned cartons Mike noticed were from people who didn't do
their homework. Scenario:

Wife: Spray that within 500 feet of our children or anything they might
touch, and you will wake up tomorrow with a higher voice.

Husband: Ummm...I think I have the receipt here somewhere.....

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
deet is the only thing works as long as people are typically outside. and

it sure
DOES work by spraying it on clothes. my face is sensitive to lots of

things, but I
spray my hat with deet, spray a shirt with it and I am fine outside in

pretty bad
flocks of mosquitoes. Ingrid
:
1) Find an Avon dealer and buy some Skin-So-Soft as a bug repellent. It
works pretty darn good, and is safer than smearing DEET on kids. (But,

DEET
works almost as well if smeared on hats, shoes, etc., instead of skin).

I've found the Avon product effective in many situations. But, at night,
while fishing, it's another story.

[IMG] code is On

Has anyone ordered from Burgess? Lilah Morgan[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2008 05:09 PM
Burgess bad experience Frank Thompson Edible Gardening 1 07-04-2005 01:03 PM
Burgess Plant and Seed pixi Gardening 2 18-03-2005 08:32 PM
Fogging for insects with my Burgess Fogger? On ROSES? Brendan OMara Roses 13 30-05-2003 04:10 PM
RE Fogger gary linley Gardening 2 19-03-2003 09:20 PM