Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 AM
MarkG

Default Mosquito Deleto vs. Mosquito Magnet

One year ago I bought a Mosquito Deleto from Coleman. It definitely
attracted the mosquitos, but few were caught on the sticky tape. I
remember checking the trap once and seeing a couple of skeeters
sitting on the bar next to the trap. On average, it trapped 3-6
mosquitos per month.

While the Deleto helped draw them away I got frustrated that it was
not killing them. I saw Consumer Report's review of the Mosquito
Magnet in 5/03 stating that it captured 75% of the mosquitos in one
test. So this year I bought the Mosquito Magnet Pro. I am in the
unique position of have both machines in the same location. I am now
catching dozens of mosquitos per night verses 3-6 per month. This is
quite a difference from the Deleto. The other night we had a barbeque
and were largely unmolested.

The only complaint I have is that the Magnet Pro wouldn't start at
first. I called Tech Support and encountered long phone waits. When
I got through they were very helpful. Because the power pack has
platinum pellets that settled wrong, the solution was to shake and
bang the unit (no kidding!) to settle the beads. It worked and the
unit started fine.

Overall, the Mosquito Magnet is far, far more effective than the
Deleto.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Bruce Yates

I read somewhere a while back that putting a block of dry ice in a
corner of the yard away from people will draw mosquitoes away from
people. Supposedly it lets off carbon dioxide in heavier
concentrations than people which is what the critters zero in on.
Haven't tried it yet.